1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Coolant leak inside.......comon!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with magic. The shop my friend went to is just one guy but he is very experienced. Never hurts to ask if the tech has ever done a heater core before so he knows what he's getting into for sure because nobody likes techs racking on extra hours for their mess-ups or them remembering what goes where.

Just careful on what shop you take it to and make sure they know what you're doing. Your dash has a lot of important and weird funny things that chrysler is known for using in it that have to be removed/disconnected.

Took me about 9 hours total working time start to finish to do mine and I had no idea what I was doing and just threw all my bolts and parts in a big pile to worry about later when putting it all back together, but that just makes it more fun.

Last edited by Evon Trizmo; 03-17-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:39 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Google Durango Owners Club. Indy D did a excellent write up on one with photos. YOu may still lighen the wallet but gives you an idea of what the mechanic is in for just remember this isnt a 1985 ford. Lots of electrical cables and sensors. Very time consuming to get it right and make sure you or whoever is doing the work read the AIRBAG DE POWERING instructions very carefully. One of the sensors is underneath the center console and can definitely add to the time involved in the process. Good news is once it is done it should be good for another 5-10 years if you change it out make sure you get documentation hopefully will help your resale value.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Resale Value? those are depressing words haha.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:41 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
Resale Value? those are depressing words haha.
LMAO! I'm 39 years old and to this day I have never sold a vehicle to anyone other than a salvage yard. Even when I get a nicer vehicle, I live out in the boonies and it's always handy to have an old clunker around that you can beat up on when you need to. I'm definitely one of those "drive it 'til it dies" folks....

Old 03-18-2011, 03:00 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah I'm with ya on that one Corey! I'm 31 and haven't sold a vehicle. My first truck was an old Ramcharger that I ran till it died, literally up in smoke LOL. After that I got an old '86 Dodgeasaurus Ram 150 that I gave away to my nephew that he is still driving it around and I have a Ram 3500 along with my Durango.

I'm intending to keep the D till the wheels fall off (no pun intended on that recall) or I die first. The Ram I'm not so sure about because it's a diesel and the parts cost an arm and a leg and with diesel prices sky rocketing, not sure might make a nice lawn gnome.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Well it still counts as not selling it if you demote it to a lawn gnome haha. As long as you replace the little things, dodge's will run forever thy are built like tanks, and I wouldn't be surprised if your diesel truck made it past 500k miles. You're lucky you live in florida where you don't have to worry about rust or road salt in the winters. I can't stand people (stupid girls) who when they need new tires it's all of a sudden time for a new car and they roll out in their brand new chevy p.o.s. car. I plan on running my D untill there aren't aymore more numbers left on the odometer to keep up. Too bad dodge won't buy it off me for research at a million miles or give me a brand new model because I already got into everything and replaced a ton of stuff. Anyone knows what happens when you get a million on a didgital odometer? I'm about to find out just check back with me in 10 years haha.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:41 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
My first truck was an old Ramcharger that I ran till it died, literally up in smoke LOL.
My 98 D has been on fire on the side of the road. TWICE!!! Same highway, within the same 5 mile stretch of road. Fire department had to be called out both times.

And we're still driving it. It's having tranny issues right now so it doesn't go on the highway, but we still use it around town for taking kids to school, running to the grocery store, etc... (I already know the tranny needs to be replaced, so I don't give two ****s about doing more damage to it, just want to keep it close enough to home that when it finally gives up altogether the tow won't be too expensive....)

We also had a mattress on a trailer catch fire when my wife first moved in with me and we were moving her things. Same road, right about halfway in between the two spots where the D caught fire. Needed the fire department that time, too.

I don't drive that road anymore... LMFAO...

(These are the only times I've been involved with, or even seen, vehicle fires in my entire life. And all on that same 5 mile stretch of road...)

Last edited by coreybv; 03-18-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

They just need to build a fire station right there haha. Or sign up for their frequent fire plus member card.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:10 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

I didnt have total fire but I did have passengers brake caliper fail to retract on I 494 near St. Paul, MN last spring. Dragged, and eventually caught fire and I was dead in the water. Brake line collapsed and wouldnt return fluid allowing piston to retract so.............BRAKE FIRE...FIRE....FIRE! no further damage but flames and about $850 in damages. Required r/r of both Calipers, brake lines, rotors and pads. Bad news $850.....good news......Total r/r of front brake system.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Front right caliper fire? Ha I bet your PCM was a happy camper that day, not like it doesn't get toasty enough sitting in the engine bay. What were you thinking Chysler .

After hearing all these fire stories with 98 Ds I'm going to start keeping a bag of marshmellows in my glove box for the day when my D spontainiously combusts. You might see me on the news making smores on the side of the highway, who knows.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak inside.......comon!