1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Coolant leak inside.......comon!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coreybv
My 98 D has been on fire on the side of the road. TWICE!!! Same highway, within the same 5 mile stretch of road. Fire department had to be called out both times.

And we're still driving it. It's having tranny issues right now so it doesn't go on the highway, but we still use it around town for taking kids to school, running to the grocery store, etc... (I already know the tranny needs to be replaced, so I don't give two ****s about doing more damage to it, just want to keep it close enough to home that when it finally gives up altogether the tow won't be too expensive....)

We also had a mattress on a trailer catch fire when my wife first moved in with me and we were moving her things. Same road, right about halfway in between the two spots where the D caught fire. Needed the fire department that time, too.

I don't drive that road anymore... LMFAO...

(These are the only times I've been involved with, or even seen, vehicle fires in my entire life. And all on that same 5 mile stretch of road...)

I have seen many car fires in my day... partly cause i was a member of the fire department for 15 years..and in that time i have NEVER seen a dodge on fire, atleast 90% of the time they where fords

My first truck was a 1972 Chevy C-20.. i loved that truck and wish i still had her today.. drove her till the only way to start her was to craw under it and touch the starter with a screw driver. did that till she started smelling like an electrical fire then it was time after 7 years of service to lay her to rest....

Second truck was a 1989 Chevy 2500.. i fell in love with her too.. drove her about 7 years also.. Was forced to sell her to feed the family after having a pretty serious accident at work that left me disabled. It really sucked that i had to do it but, i would do it again in a heartbeat to provide for the family...

Third and current truck is my 1998 Durango SLT.. this is my first dodge and so far its going pretty good. I really am falling in love with this girl and i don't plan (provided no major issues) on getting rid of her till its time to lay her to rest....

I have never really had any major issues with any of my rigs.. if fact i think its pretty cool that im only on my third rig in 14 years of driving.. I have always tried to take good care of my rigs, proper service, not beatin the sh*t out of it, etc.... maybe that has something to do with my luck i dunno..

Anyways back to topic....

I think its a good idea to buy your parts before hand and just pay someone to install them.. save you some money over them getting you the parts.. hope everything works out for ya...

.... oh and happy motoring

Old 03-18-2011, 04:50 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah see the only thing is being right by the ocean (live in St. Petersburg about 4 miles from beach) the saltwater reacks havoc just as much as road salt. Its a PITA but I am just sure to clean it if I'm near he beach driving.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Very true widow, didn't think about that. So you own a shop, how many GM trucks have you had roll in with the typical faulty melted fuel pump wiring? haha you would think that would cause the car to go up in flames but I'm surprised only a few do, GM is just really really lucky.

Then getting back on topic once again, first check to see if your shop will allow you to supply your own parts, most do and won't give you a warrenty, and shops say nope you have to use our mark-uped 3rd party price parts only.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:20 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we have worked on more GM vehicles than I can count and I've only had couple instances where it was melted. GM the big problem is they're such a PITA to work on, that's why I sold my Sierra 2500! Also my issue with ford is they're not built tough like their slogan and they're not built strong.

If its a good shop they'll be more than happy to take your parts and install them for you. My shop does and we also have a limited warranty that covers the work we did, not the part. Make sure they warranty the work they do.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by coreybv
We also had a mattress on a trailer catch fire when my wife first moved in with me and we were moving her things
Sounds like you need to check yourself after a night in the good old sack to see if your smokin!..........

he's on fia!!!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 05:18 AM
Mean Green
Champion

I understand not guaranteeing your work for a part failure if it is a part provided by the customer. Hell one day at my shop we had a customer provide their own rebuilt transmission so that he could save a few bucks. We installed the transmission only to find that the thing was not a good rebuild. It cost him twice as much in labor due to that flub not to mention the roadtime he lost while we were fixing the trans (I am a truck mechanic). There's no reason a shop should have to eat that labor for someone else's screwup. My brother runs a shop in WA and he will install customer supplied parts but there is no warranty for the labor if there is a part failure. The Napa he goes through for most of his parts covers like 80% of his labor rate if one of their parts fail in the warranty period.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak inside.......comon!