1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 rango frt diff

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you remove the front differential and driveshaft you might see a slight increase in MPGs due to less weight it's carrying but definitely not worth doing if you're doing it just to save. When you drive it and it's not in 4WD you're just driving in 2WD simply put.

The transmission doesn't know much of a difference if there's no power going from the transfer case to the wheels or not.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:53 AM
DURANGOWIFE

I wouldn't think the trans would matter because it is only connected through the transfer case. I am referring to reduced rolling resistance by the wheels not having to spin the frt diff gears and frt prop shaft back to the transfer case.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

Originally Posted by DURANGOWIFE
I have been told by techs at my dealership it can be done, I would just need to take the stub shaft off the cv joint and put it back into the hub with the nut on to hold the hub together. I would totally remove the frt diff assembly and frt drive shaft, so there would not be any openings exposed to the elements. I would think without the wheels turning all the mechanicals, it would be easier on the fuel mileage.

Doesn't the D use a sealed front bearing? If so it should be fine without anything in the middle. You would basically destroy the CV shaft taking it apart to use it like that. You could reassemble it all but you would need new inner and outer boot.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by Biff85ta
Doesn't the D use a sealed front bearing? If so it should be fine without anything in the middle.
It's been a couple years since I had mine out, but trying to remember back I recall that end of the CV shaft being pretty beefy. It definitely gave me the impression that it was structurally important.

That hub assembly was designed with the assumption that the CV shaft and hub nut would be in place. I'll admit that I don't know for sure, but sealed or not, I doubt that it has the strength without them to hold together long term. I still have visions of the front wheels simply falling right off sooner or later if it was driven without that in place.

Given that I was able to find a used front diff for only $190 and replacement can be done in an afternoon by a moderately experienced shadetree mechanic, I'm sticking with my opinion that this particular mod has far more downside than upside.....

Last edited by coreybv; 03-23-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:11 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the loss attributed to pushing the front driveline is very minimal, as stated you will see more gains from the decrease in weight of the vehicle than from the reduction in rolling resistance

Old 03-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like everyone else said, MPG gain would barely even be noticeable. If you're car has AWD capability without being able to unlock the hubs/front shafts, like the Ds, you will get less MPGs in 2WD than in AWD but again a very small difference.

If you can find a used diff. from a bone yard and get that all ready to go and be installed, then you only have to take the front apart once. On the other hand, rebuilding a diff. is something I'd let an experienced shop do to get the gear meshing just right so you don't have backlash or whining noises.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
as stated you will see more gains from the decrease in weight of the vehicle than from the reduction in rolling resistance
And even that is how much? About the weight of throwing a 10 year old in the passenger seat? How many people get concerned about dramatic mpg swings when letting a passenger get in?

Very minimal......

Last edited by coreybv; 03-23-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:54 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by coreybv
And even that is how much? About the weight of throwing a 10 year old in the passenger seat? How many people get concerned about dramatic mpg swings when letting a passenger get in?

Very minimal......
Exactly my point on why I said don't do it if it's just for the hell of it. Usually if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This is one of those cases where you're going to spend more time and effort taking everything apart and putting it back together than you'll ever see in MPGs.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
DURANGOWIFE

Well, It sounds like nobody has done it before, seems alot of speculation and no tried and true results, and I don't have extra $200.00+ laying around right now, and my plan does not cost anything, right now. So I will try it and let you know how it works out.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're saying nobody has rebuilt a diff. before, it's something I'd never do myself, I want a specialized shop to do it once and do it right. You can do it yourself to make it work, but later on it will probably get damaged quicker and you might have a really annoying whine/humming sound coming from it.

Quick Reply: 01 rango frt diff