1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Air Intake Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 AM
dodge_dingo_kid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jbar1982 just wondering why u dont have the vacume line connected on the top of the intake pipe. Will it not make your dingo throw codes or run like crap

Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 PM
neilb
Professional

Originally Posted by 01 6.3L RT
Nothing more can be added!!!!! Widow done got it spot on, The verdict is in case dismissed,,,NEXT lol
Other than this is what i use ,,suc`s like a pro lol
That engine bay is so clean I find myself feeling an inner hatred towards you lol, but realy, how do you get it so nice ?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

He washed it..............

Originally Posted by dodge_dingo_kid
Jbar1982 just wondering why u dont have the vacume line connected on the top of the intake pipe. Will it not make your dingo throw codes or run like crap
WTF......are you talkin about?????

Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
WTF......are you talkin about?????
I think he was referring to the breather hose on the passenger side of the engine. I know on my 5.9 it has it but it doesn't go to the top of the intake but instead on the part going to the filter.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:14 PM
98SLT4ME

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
1. No a tornado will do absolutely nothing for a throttle body. The "funneling air effect" it states just doesn't work with the diameter opening and the spacer aspect of it is nothing more than an expensive paper weight.

I fell prey to believing these things and got a Jet Performance TB 'Tornado' Spacer and used it for about 2 weeks trying to notice a performance boost, but nothing more than a waste of $100.

2. Depends. Typically a Ram air kit will give you the best boost of performance and air mass, but it depends where you're pulling the air from. If it has a nice clean view of what's in front of you then this is what you want to do. I've seen the K&N CAI kit and it's a nice kit yes, but you can save $200 by just making your own CAI kit with a Spectre kit from AutoZone and a DIY 'Home-Brew' Ram air kit. (see the links below)

3. No as I stated above, a throttle body spacer is nothing more than an expensive paper weight. Spacers are only any good on a carburetor, not a throttle body. Also, make sure you get everything you need in order to do the OEM to Holley swap, because the last thing you want to do is wait for a part to come in when you've gotten everything torn down.

4. The high flow exhaust you can do whenever you want to. When doing an exhaust make sure you DON'T mess with the CAT. The CAT comes from factory as 'high-flow' and the engine will not take kindly to a shorter 'high-flow' CAT. Make sure when you're doing your high flow exhaust to beef it up a bit with some 3" piping. This will give you the best performance boost, without killing your fuel economy.
Can you link me to the spectre kit you mentioned?

edit - Are you talking about something like this? You could use that instead of something from the hardware store, but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy from lowes?

Last edited by 98SLT4ME; 04-24-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 AM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if im not mistaken the hose in question connects to the rear on the airhat... at least it does on mine... the tube going towards the filter has a stem on it before it gets to the aditional hardware...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 PM
jbar1981

Well thats not technically my truck i havent posted any pictures lol. But i believe you are talking about the hose that goes from the air hat to the pcv valve on the engine. Its in the back towards the firewall i dont think that you can see it from this angle. But im sure its there. Thanks for everyones help on this topic. I am going to open another thread on exhaust in the future for some new questions i have

Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jbar1981
i believe you are talking about the hose that goes from the air hat to the pcv valve on the engine. Its in the back towards the firewall i dont think that you can see it from this angle. But im sure its there.
Excuse me but the PCV valve on the 5.9 is on the drivers side and goes directly from the PCV into the intake manifold and goes nowhere close to the firewall. In no way shape or form does a PCV valve go to the air hat.

Once again, I think you are referring to the breather hose on the passenger side of the engine that goes to the passenger valve covers but it is NOT a PCV valve.

Jbar1982 just wondering why u dont have the vacume line connected on the top of the intake pipe.
For the record, it's spelled vacuum...

Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe it looks like this

Old 04-28-2011, 10:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Excuse me but the PCV valve on the 5.9 is on the drivers side and goes directly from the PCV into the intake manifold and goes nowhere close to the firewall. In no way shape or form does a PCV valve go to the air hat.

Once again, I think you are referring to the breather hose on the passenger side of the engine that goes to the passenger valve covers but it is NOT a PCV valve.
Actually,

In the 1998-1999 models the PVC was on the passenger side valve cover, the breather was on the drivers.

After they reformatted the engine compartment in 2000 they switched sides. So 2000-2003 the PCV is on the drivers side and breather on the passenger side.

Quick Reply: Air Intake Mods