1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Unthinkable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unthinkable?

Hey guys, I just got off of work and thought I'd get some biased opinions . I have a coworker who picked up a very built 91 5.0 mustang from another coworker. His wife is making him sell it for a family car. I threw out the idea of trading the D for his stang. He's gonna think about it over the weekend but is very interested. Mine has 94K on the clock and is in decent shape. His has 25K on the (I cannot emphasize enough) VERY built engine. The whole car has been gone through to handle the power and handles very well. What do you guys think?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 AM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm.... Tough call...

(In the interest of full disclosure, I was born and raised in Dodge country, so hating Fords is pretty much pre-programmed into my brain from birth....)

Having said that, sounds like a good swap to me.

Yours is newer, but his has less miles.... You live in NV, so snow isn't really an issue for you.

Do you do much offroading in the desert? Do you ever have to tow?

If you can answer "no" to both of those questions, then I think you should give that trade some very serious thought.

Although '91 was still the era when the Mustang looked like a girl's car.......................

(Bit of history trivia... The original design goal for the Mustang was to build a car that would appeal to female drivers....)

Last edited by coreybv; 03-26-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Mean Green
Champion

We do get snow here but I can always use my wifes car. I am also only about 5 mins from work. I never tow and haven't been offroad in a while. I plan on picking up a truck down the line again once the wife finishes school so 2 more years or so. I have towed with the D once in the whole time I've owned it. Another thing I like about the idea is that the stang is gonna hold it's value and can even increase in value given enough time. My D doesn't have a chance of doing that. I am not a fan of Fords but the 5.0 mustang has always been a beast and no matter how much I hate the blue oval I love me a well put together car no matter who built it. The fuel economy is better than the D obviously and my coworker says he is paying $225 every six months for insurance, $280 for full coverage. I'm older and have no accidents and 1 ticket (0 points) so I imagine I'd have a killer rate. As for the girl car look, I don't think so, big engine in a small frame sounds good to me. Personally the late nineties looked way more feminine to me.

I looked for a similar looking stang and this one is pretty close. The paint is original and the front clip needs to be painted as well but it is intact.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo...um/021_19A.JPG

Old 03-26-2011, 07:02 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Well, that pic definitely looks a little more masculine than what I found when I plugged "91 mustang" into Google...

I feel like a pastor telling his daughter that her satan worshiping boyfriend would make good marriage material, but...

You make a lot of good points. MPGs would be an advantage. Resale will be better. Insurance is always an important consideration.

Plus, who are we kidding? A built 5 liter engine in a car that weighs about the same as a pair of roller skates? What red-blooded American man wouldn't want to play around with that for awhile?

I dunno man... I hate Fords on a nearly religious level, but I have to say you've got my blessing on this one if you decide to go for it....

Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

It's always a sad day when somebody trades a dodge for a ford...or even worse...for a gm. But it just depends on what you need in a car, if you need the room and towing of the D then keep it, if not then you won't be loosing any features. My friend has an 85 rustang with a 5.0 we rebuilt and it's about ready to rust in in half soon, not bad for sitting in the garage for 12 years straight haha. The 80s was a horrible year for cars.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:43 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

im actually the oddball in my family, i was raised on fords, we only ended up w/ dodges bc my dad couldnt find a good enough deal on a ranger when he got his first (96)dak and hes been buying daks ever since, IMO it sounds like the car would be fine, however if it were me i wouldnt do it, i do not like driving roller skates completely regardless of how well built up the engine is, im assuming that sitting on the ground isnt an issue for you, but its something else to consider, we will miss you if you decide to give up the D

Old 03-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

What sharps said, don't leave the D family.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:58 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I wouldn't do it because like shrp said, sitting on the ground just ain't my thing. If it's a better investment to get rid of the D for it, then by all means go for it. In this economy every penny counts and if it means giving up what you love for a new toy, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Myself, I would go for this beauty we just brought in off the truck at the dealership I work at now. Got to take it for a spin (I mean fill it up with gas at the station down the road) and it was freakin' sweet!!!

Old 03-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Now you're talking widow, that would be a good trade. I don't mind so much trading one dodge for another but moving to a 91 ford from a spanked out D....I frown upon haha.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah that thing is sick looking and even more sick under the hood. I agree that getting rid of a Dodge for a Ford is a sin in my book, but to each their own. I'm not going to judge you just because you drive a Ford. Just keep in mind Ford stands for "Fix Or Repair Daily".

Quick Reply: Unthinkable?