1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help asap

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have replaced more U-joints in main drive shafts then I can shake a stick at. I didn't think they where that hard?

In fact, I was going to do the ones in my front axel (in my Ram).

Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have replaced more U-joints in main drive shafts then I can shake a stick at. I didn't think they where that hard?
I agree, I've done tons of them as well all you need to do is this
The hardest part is getting the shaft back on centered so it doesn't vibrate at high speeds and that's not hard at all.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 AM
MongoDV8
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's talking about the propellor shaft which has a u-joint on one end and a cv ( cardone ) joint on the other.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Jason Van Order
Rookie

Originally Posted by MongoDV8
He's talking about the propellor shaft which has a u-joint on one end and a cv ( cardone ) joint on the other.

right i have cahnged many u-joints too can do them in my sleep. New shaft should be in this afternoon tho so the wife can be happy to get her wheels back

Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, ya there's no hope in rebuilding a cv joint. On my 98 D they have 3 u-joints on my front shaft, forgot they switched over to a cv joint later on.

I say "the wife" too haha, they become less human and less happy the longer you're with them.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Enough of the horse play!

When people start talking about a subject we need to ensure that we are all on the same page. This thread is a classic example of meaningless posts with ideas shooting all over the web. Nobody's on the same page, nobody understands, and someone just bought a part that they didn't need because of it! The whole reason we as members are here is to help people, get the right part, help them install, and diagnose issues!

Now the OP (Original Poster) identified that he had a Cardone joint falure. A Cardone Joint is a CV halfshaft, NOT a Front Drive Shaft. A Front Drive Shaft with a double knuckle in the front as pictured below is called a, Drive Shaft with Double Cardan Joint.

So are we talking about a front DRIVE shaft, or a CV half Shaft?

Featured is a 2000 Dodge Durango 4X4 front drive shaft and CV Half Shaft;

Drive shaft:

On the front of this front drive shaft is one of these: A Double Cardan Joint.

YES these Double Cardan Joints are rebuildable! www.sixstates.com has the parts to rebuild this knuckle.

And finaly the classic U-Joint (Universal Joint). These are on the ends of the drive shafts and are replaceable.

Next is the CV joint. The CV is on the outer sides of the front differential. One of these drive the front wheel and is hooked into the front wheel:

CV (Constant Velocity) Halfshaft Joint: Also known as a Cardone Joint

CV Half Shafts are rebuildable, however your better off buying a new one with a lifetime warranty.

So now we are politically corrected.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Jason Van Order
Rookie

I had to replace the front drive shaft sorry for calling it the wrong name. In the center of these 2 u-joints there is another joint (cant see it in this pic) but that was completely shot. Next time you are under you D try to put a screwdriver in between these to joints and you will know what one i am talking about. Hydra you can relax i didn't get screwed into the wrong part by someone on here. so lets all just calm down and pop a top.

Last edited by Jason Van Order; 03-30-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

What am trying to explain is, we all need to be on the same page.

Not everyone knows the "proper" name of a part, and that's ok. What I was talking about is the ignorance of not knowing what we're talking about.

You could have re-built that joint instead of buying a new one. Instead, we have many of people shooting off stating this and that when they didn't even comprehend what the thread was even about. They didn't ask the basic questions.

Anyway, back on topic.

Quick Reply: Help asap