1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help asap

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Jason Van Order
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help asap

Was changing out the u joints on the front drive shaft and noticed the cardone joint is shot. Can just that be replaced or do I have to replace the whole driveshaft? Also it wont hurt it to run with out the driveshaft for a week or so right?

Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Van Order
Was changing out the u joints on the front drive shaft and noticed the cardone joint is shot. Can just that be replaced or do I have to replace the whole driveshaft? Also it wont hurt it to run with out the driveshaft for a week or so right?

Should be alright to go without the driveshaft... im accually doing the same thing except with the rear driveshaft missing till i can fix it but, i would only use it for the "must make" trips just to stay on the safe side...

as for the cardone joint im not accually sure but, im sure someone who knows will chime in soon...

Old 03-26-2011, 08:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

cardone joint is just a universal for anyone else wondering, just not a term used here in the US (i did some research), i believe the u-joints can be replaced on their own

and yes you can drive w/o the driveshaft in there short-term, but it should not be a permanent solution by any means

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 03-26-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Jason Van Order
Rookie

Well bad news cant replace just the joint have to get a new driveshaft.

Treid to drive it out last night and that too was a no go. With the full time 4wd the transfer case is putting the power to the path of least resistance. So the new one should be in on Tues. and then should be good to go.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:50 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Don't put it in 4FT and put it in 2WD. Of course if you're referring to AWD full time, then that's a different story. For it sending power to the path of least resistance I've never heard of that... Usually it sends power equally and doesn't pick between the two.

You're saying by your theory, that if you had your front 2 wheels on ice and the back on solid ground, you would be stuck because it would be sending all the power to the front wheels because there's less resistance.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
You're saying by your theory, that if you had your front 2 wheels on ice and the back on solid ground, you would be stuck because it would be sending all the power to the front wheels because there's less resistance.
that is exactly what happens with awd and ft 4wd that are strictly mechanical (none of these new electronic systems, they have sensors which combat the issue) these systems use viscous couplers, or clutch packs (similar to lsds) in order to transfer torque btwn the two driveshafts and multiply the torque applied, however 0*anything is still just 0. . .

you want 4wd pt or 2wd in order to drive the truck w/ one drive shaft out (if its the rear driveshaft that busted 4wdpt)

Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup just put it in 2WD or 4WD PT, whatever option you have. I drove without my rear driveshaft for a month because nobody had the ujoints for it. Taking out the front shaft and driving is not a problem,nothing will leak. Taking out the rear causes the t-case fluid to spill out the back because it uses a slip joint in there, you just have a yoke on your front.

I could have sworn it's possible to replace the ujoints on the front driveshaft, I bought some for my rear shaft and said I needed both the front and back ujoints, and they gave me one smaller one thinking I meant front driveshaft. This was at advance. Now don't even get me started on no replacement ujoints for the steering shaft and being $300 new haha.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Jason Van Order
Rookie

Well with it being a 2000 the only opotions i have are 4wd 4 hi-lock and 4 low so no 2wd for me new driveshaft should be here tomorrow

Old 03-28-2011, 11:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't under stand why you can't just replace the U-joints on the drive shafts???????

Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

"I pity the fool."

Quick Reply: Help asap