1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why I put that I hated to say that because Mobil 1 is too my favorite lubricant hands down but I have to stay with factory specs. The day Mobil 1 releases an ATF +4 fluid is the day my truck will have 100% Mobil 1 fluids in it.

I also agree with doing a flush and back-flush because if you do a rebuild the last thing you want is metal fragments going thru your newly rebuilt system.

I too did a flush and back-flush when I rebuilt my transmission up to the Viper 47re transmission to hold up to my torque increases just to make sure I didn't harm my he's transmission.

What's done is done and I agree with hydra on this one is the damage has already presented itself and the best thing is to get the problem out of the system.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:18 PM
steve83
Default 1999 dodge durango

thanks too all......and yes will do...i will replace the trans fluid with atf 4...the plan is having a friend i know pull the trans and rebuild it replacing power bands,clutches,gaskets,torque converter,and everything else usually done in a rebuild..he says he is going to flush it as well..it will be great to have pretty much a new trans in it after its done...its just a costly repair needed but not wanted...i would rather ask questions than make the wrong decision so thanks to everyone for your time and help..taking the durango later this week to be put on a lift at his friends shop to pull the trans..hope all goes well..my friend is really great at rebuilding transmissions..he rebuilt my dads trans a while back ago in his 71 monte carlo..he rebuilds alot of them sorta his part time thing..our next door neighbor has a 87 monte carlo with a 200r trans that he is going to rebuild for him as well because my dad told him the great job he did on his..its really great to know people to keep a good bit of money in pocket rather than taking it to a shop and have them do it all..thats for sure...i try to fix anything i can on my own to save that 100 dollars or so...

Old 04-05-2011, 01:35 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by steve83
..it will be great to have pretty much a new trans in it after its done...its just a costly repair needed but not wanted...
Yeah, this is true but positive thing is you will have a transmission that will last you longer than the last one as long as you maintain it like you should. Just make sure once that is rebuilt not to do a flush, because that will cause problems again.

Originally Posted by steve83
...i try to fix anything i can on my own to save that 100 dollars or so...
Amen to that brother, and people like you are who keep us around here busy with giving help and positive outlook to situations!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Hope it works out for you, you got the majority of your questions answered by this forum. Glad we could help and dont be afraid to check in after the project is complete.
I don't think we will have to worry about that........hear me out......

Once you get the transmission fixed...you will feel better about the D....Then oil change, then new brakes, before you know it you will be adding new tires, maybe K&N intake, some weathertech vent visors, probably want to get an aftermarket stereo with Satellite radio....being the family truckster probably a DVD for the kids in the back, on family trips then asking where and when the MOPAR nationals at Carlisle, PA are..... You will get the MOD bug soon. And then you will be logging onto the forum regularly, asking and offering advice.....Coat of Wax, nice interior cleaning, maybe seat heaters depending on what part of the country you are on.

Thats pretty much what happened to me..... Minus the Kids in the back and K&N part... I originally got it for the 4WD in winter and almost five years later I am almost paid off, going on my 2nd set of replacement tires. (over 70K off the first set of Michelin X-Radials and still about 4/32 tread BTW)

For the most part like any vehicle take care of it and it should take care of you.. You already learned what fluids the D is "ALLERGIC" to so that is one lesson. Keep us up to date and let us know how the transmission rebuild goes.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nothing wrong with spending $100 bucks to ensure that there is a serious problem.

Can't count how many times we've all saved many people from the fate of serious work with a few bucks on the line for a simple test.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Nothing wrong with spending $100 bucks to ensure that there is a serious problem.

Can't count how many times we've all saved many people from the fate of serious work with a few bucks on the line for a simple test.
True that!!! That's why I'm still here around helping people one at a time with their problems. Everyone in the world has car problems, just the few that are smart enough to check something as simple as a forum are the ones that keep their vehicle running longer for cheaper!

The ones that don't even think about a forum are the ones that are taking their old car (2006 vehicle with under 100k miles) to the junkyard and adding another car payment a month to their expenses.

Quick Reply: Transmission problems