1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Steering rack problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Larry Kirker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack problem

Hi everyone,

I have a durango 4x4 4.7 v8 magnum. 2 days before Thanksgiving (4 months ago) I had my rack replaced, the other day it started whining and sure enough it was like a pint low. now it is going through about a pint a day, I finally got time to look underneath and the brand new rack is leaking out of the boots on both sides. my question is what would make both sides start leaking at the same time, and why would a brand new steering rack give out so fast? I want to be a little educated about this before I go back to the garage that did the work so he can't rip me off and tell me it was somehow my fault, so any knowledgeable input is really appreciated. I will also add that it was replaced 4 months ago because my wife drove it into a curb and the steering wheel would not turn at all afterwards.

Thank you in advance,
Larry

Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it has went out and you haven't done anything to it in 4 months it's installer error. It is all his fault because it just doesn't leak redicilous like that out both side of the rack. I'd fight that claim he makes that it's somehow your fault.

It sounds to me indefinitely it's all the mechanics fault.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i agree w/ widow sounds like the install was screwed up

Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the correct fluid was put back in by the mechanic, there shouldn't be any problems in that short of time. Just go back once try to be nice and ask if there's a warrenty or what he can do about it. If he gives you a hard time then get mean. The thing that tells me it's his fault or it's a bad part is that it's leaking from both sides and not just one.

Quick Reply: Steering rack problem