1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Problems turning engine on

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 AM
mannyg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Problems turning engine on

I have a 2000 Durango and the last couple of days, I've been having problems turning it on. I get a "click" as I try to turn it on, all dashboard lights come on. If I try again, I still get a click. The only way I have been able to get it running is if I turn the key all the way back (dashboard lights off), then turn the key, then it starts like nothing ever happened. So that's my trick now, try once, no luck, turn the key all the way back, then turn it on, on the 2nd try. I know it's eventually going to stop working so I'm trying to get ahead of it. Anybody had the same issue?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:14 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

sounds like your battery is dead, the click you are hearing is most likely the starter relay attempting to engage but w/o enough juice to turn the starter,

also make sure that your battery connections are clean and tight as they could also be causing similar symptoms to a dead battery(or in your case, almost dead batter)

Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a bad connection or your starter is on the way out.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The click you're hearing is probably the starter solenoid locking the gears in place to turn the engine but then the motor isn't getting enough power to start it. The only thing I never heard of before is turning the key off and back on makes it work, but that can rule out the battery and possibly wires/connections. There's a starter relay in the PDC box and aside of that the rest of the stuff is in the starter itself. It could also be something funny happening in your key cylinder. There's a main battery cable going from the battery directly to the starter to supply it power when needed.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Most of the time the click is usually just the relay. Either way, just open the hood and see if the click is from the relay (in the PDC) or the starter.

Quick Reply: Problems turning engine on