1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Steering wheel radio controls? Do they exist?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering wheel radio controls? Do they exist?

So I've heard around many times that in 1999+ models there was a factory option for steering wheel radio controls but have yet to see any 1st gen D with them. Is it just the fact that there is no such thing or people just didn't get that option because it probably doubled the price of the car or what? The only reason I don't believe it is because looking at the D steering wheel there really isn't any way to fit anymore buttons which overhauling the whole setup, or installing them on the side/rear of the wheel where paddle shifters usually are.

Just wondering and thought I'd ask because even just factory looking volume control buttons on my steering wheel would be pretty neat.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simply put yes there was an option available.

When I bought my Durango it was an extra convenience option that came in a package with the upgraded CD/Casette radio including steering wheel controls and the option package cost $1,200.

Its not a very popular option but the controls were on the back of the steering wheel. The left side was up and down for seeking tracks and right side was up and down for volume control.

If you have an owners manual you can consult that for more information regarding it and it shows pictures of where the buttons were located.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Hm, certainly does sound interesting, I'll have deffinetly keep an eye out for one of these wheels and see if it's something that's streamlined in pretty well or just one of those stuck on later to an old part looking things. My dream wheel is one out of an 11 D with like 50 buttons, now that's functionality.
I'm looking into a kit that makes your wheel heated too (it may sound stupid untill you get in your car in the winter and can't even hold onto your wheel unless you want frost bite ha), it slips into the small hole in the metal that goes all the way round the center of the wheel, I'm just trying to figure out how to get that much voltage/amps through a clockspring.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

mine has em, they are on the back of the wheel behind the cruise controls

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 04-12-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 PM
rhillman75
Rookie

I have them on my 01 SLT... but they are useless since I went to a JVC HD radio and found out it does not have the steering wheel control input. Although it did come with a wireles remote so I can't b*tch about it!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

I have an aftermarket stereo too and I can deffinetly make them work, but i'd have to take the whole stereo apart and solder wires onto the volume control switch itself and whatever other buttons it has, easy as pie for me at least...now knowing chrysler and how they love multiplexing all their steering wheel controls, this could be more of a challenge, but it wouldn't stop me. I'd get a DAC circuit setup and install the correct value resistors on each control button and I'll be all set. So now anyone who's crazy enough to want to get them to work, there you go haha.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

my 01 has them

Old 04-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Dennis F

My 03 R/T has them as well.

There are two types of adapters you can use to make the steering wheel controls work. One is the kind that would plug into the back of the new radio and a 2nd type actually is an inferred repeater of sorts that you would have to install in direct line to the radio.

PAC and Peripheral makes them, http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacswisteerw.html

Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

A learning Infared device, now that's ingenuis right there. I may have to look into one of those, just hide it up in the ceiling somewhere.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 PM
ryanaugust

I just bought an 02 SLT a couple weeks ago and did realize that these were there until last Sunday when I accidentally bumped the left side button and the radio station changed.

Here is the PAC system for most aftermarket stereos @ $40
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...XBNGM6NRM6AN8A

Quick Reply: Steering wheel radio controls? Do they exist?