1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Spring or Air???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:24 AM
Danks69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring or Air???

Hello, I am new to this forum and new to Dodge's aswell.. I love them!

Does Over Does Good Everytime!!!

Anyway.... I am getting a lift on my durango soon and wanted to know if a spring or air lift was better? Let me know please!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

2 things wrong with this post

1) not enough information, year, trim, driveline, engine information is missing
2) you posted this in the wrong section, id move it if i knew which generation your durango was part of.

and just for my own reference, is there any specific reason you didnt read the thread titled "read this BEFORE posting"??? bc its in nice big letters and explains where you post

Old 04-17-2011, 06:13 AM
Danks69

Sorry about that... umm it's a 99' 5.9l V8 4x4.. that's all i can tell you man. I don't know much But am always willing to learn

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
2 things wrong with this post

1) not enough information, year, trim, driveline, engine information is missing
2) you posted this in the wrong section, id move it if i knew which generation your durango was part of.

and just for my own reference, is there any specific reason you didnt read the thread titled "read this BEFORE posting"??? bc its in nice big letters and explains where you post

Old 04-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Groggy
Rookie

Don't Fret! Your, question will get answered, but take some time to read up on some of the other Posts that relate to lifts. Allot of how your question will get answered will depend on what kind of lift you are interested in!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I have never heard of an air lift except if you're referring to the leveling air bags for towing. If this is the case it doesn't do much of a lift unless you're towing, and I personally have these and love them.

Around here there's 3 types of lifts everyone is familiar with. There's the body lift that consists of puting a series of blocks between the frame and body to achieve a total of 3" of lift, then there's the torsion bar/shackle lift that consists of cranking the torsion bar up and puting shackles on the back to achieve a total of 2" of lift, then theres the suspension lift.

In all reality you will be most happy with a suspension lift and I believe there's a 5.5" lift for your year available, the down side is not everyone can afford it. Just for the parts you can expect to spend $2,000 before the labor with a suspension lift but it will give you the best overall ride.

A torsion bar/shackle lift is very easy and very cheap to do. It does however give the vehicle a very stiff ride compared to OEM but don't expect to pay any more than $60 on the job. You can also do this lift at home in about an hour.

The body lift is the median of the two. Basically it costs around $250 and isn't horribly hard to do and you can achieve 3" of lift while keeping the stock ride. You can keep all your stock components such as shocks and springs and this is what a lot of people are happy with.

You could always do a T/S lift along with a body lift to achieve 5" of total lift, it just depends on what exactly you're wanting and how high you're wanting to jack it up.

Quick Reply: Spring or Air???