1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dumbo Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:41 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumbo Mirrors

So now is the time where my engine modifications are done and I'd like to work on the exterior. First I'd like to start with "Dumbo Towing Mirrors" aka the newer style folding tow mirrors.

I am wondering where, those of you that have them, to get them online. I did a search and can't find them for my Durango. I have a same year Ram 3500 and the mirrors look the same and same size but I'm unsure if the mounting points are the same.

I found one online for a same year Ram 1500 and I'm sure it would work but want reassurance from those that have done it.

Also I'm wondering what you guys think the stock mirrors would be worth on eBay or a similar website. Just trying to get a general idea on what they're worth. I have power/heated mirrors.

Here's the link to the Ram 1500 mirrors I've found:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Mirrors/Dod...tm_content=MRP

Thanks in advance to everyone!!

Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 PM
neilb
Professional

I think you will need to lose some wieght from your D to offset the drag these mirrors will create to maintain your mpg's ! ( Pmsl, sorry, I just could not resist that )

Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Psshhh! If I was worried about MPGs I wouldn't be towing an 8,000# trailer.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

they should bolt on very simply, dodge used the same standard mirrors thru the entire generation of the durango, the plugs on the larger mirrors may be different based on the style, but if you save yours, you should be able to swap the plugs if you need them. i believe dan did a similar swap on his (put the old style dumbo ears on his D) he should be able to help you out

Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They should fit just fine because my Ram has the same mirrors as my Durango did which is the older style.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:40 PM
logikfive
Professional

Ram dumbo mirrors WILL NOT fit a Durango. The base is differently shaped. I swapped Ram dumbo mirrors on my '97 Ram and out of curiousity I compared them to my Durango's spare mirrors. Different shape, and will not match up to your lower window belt molding. The mounting bolts, however did appear to be in the same locations, so while they actually MAY bolt on, they definitely would not look like it belongs.

I think I have 2 or 3 spare sets of heated dumbo mirrors for a Durango.

As far as the plugs between the mirrors, I forget if the Ram mirrors were a different plug, but I do know that all 98-00 Durangos, regardless of which mirror your truck originally came with, any 98-00 mirror will plug and play. If your truck didn't come with heated mirrors, as long as you have rear defrost, the truck is prewired to have heated mirrors. Plug and play.

01+ mirrors, do require a different plug. My truck originally came with the sport mirrors, I swapped to the dumbos for the folding ability and heat, it was plug and play. I then found a set of 01+ folding mirrors that I originally wanted and had to change the plug.

Last edited by logikfive; 04-15-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:15 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by logikfive
I swapped Ram dumbo mirrors on my '97 Ram and out of curiousity I compared them to my Durango's spare mirrors. Different shape, and will not match up to your lower window belt molding.
Did you even look at the link I provided? The Ram had a redesign in 1998 much like the Durango in 2001 but they changed the mirrors and things here and there and the mirrors in the link I provided are 98-01 Ram and I don't think you understand what I'm asking.

Not trying to start stuff here but I have the mirrors I believe you're thinking of already on mine and I want the folding towing mirrors on mine now. Check back with the link and get a feel for what I'm asking then answer.

For those who didn't follow the link either here is a picture of what I have and a picture of what I am wanting on there. Thank you.

What I am wanting:

What I have already:

Here's a picture I jacked from the 2nd Gen Ram section of the mirrors folded out for towing (courtesy of rl99dram):

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 04-15-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there some visable way to tell if a 98-01 mirror is heated or not?? if it is true that the D's are prewired for heated mirrors with the rear defrost then that is def something i will be taking care of real soon.. i have wanted heated mirrors for a long time

Old 04-15-2011, 04:46 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Old_School
is there some visable way to tell if a 98-01 mirror is heated or not??
Yes there is. There will be a small emblem in the corner or the mirror itself that shows it is a heated mirror. (See Picture Below)

Originally Posted by Old_School
if it is true that the D's are prewired for heated mirrors with the rear defrost then that is def something i will be taking care of real soon..
I might offer you mine once I get my new tow mirrors. I'll have to do research on what exactly their worth but I have a pair of pretty flawless heater/power mirrors.

Here's the picture of the emblem in the mirror that shows it is heated:
Name:  photo-80.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  8.4 KB

Old 04-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Yes there is. There will be a small emblem in the corner or the mirror itself that shows it is a heated mirror. (See Picture Below)

I might offer you mine once I get my new tow mirrors. I'll have to do research on what exactly their worth but I have a pair of pretty flawless heater/power mirrors.

Here's the picture of the emblem in the mirror that shows it is heated:
Been pricing new ones online and my research has come up with that they are running between 60-80 bucks a piece new...
http://www.monsterautoparts.com/DODG...go_mirrors.htm

i am going to keep my eye out for a pair from the junkyard but, let me know when you get your new mirrors and about what you might want for the old ones.

Quick Reply: Dumbo Mirrors