1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:30 AM
RunnerMatt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Stuff

Just got finished with a couple of things and thought id share. Got my new fog lights in and they look so much better. The old ones were all yellow and scratched and the new ones are so nice. Another thing I finished was changing my dash lights to blue. I had been wanting to do this and finally got around to it and I think it looks awesome. Now I am just waiting on the other blue LED's to change the lights behind the heater controls and the light switch. Can't wait. Then somewhere down the road a t/s lift and I'll be set.

Attached Thumbnails New Stuff-dsc00209.jpg   New Stuff-dsc00210.jpg   New Stuff-dsc00207.jpg   New Stuff-dsc00203.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 04:55 AM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice dude... how did you change the dash light color?

Old 04-17-2011, 05:45 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

That does look sharp. Is that the set I see on E-bay pretty regularly? The one you have to wire into the lighting rheostat?

Old 04-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Groggy
Rookie

That looks great!

Are you interested in selling the old fogs? Mine were missing when I purchased my D. I'd put the work into polishing the old ones if I had some...

Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

They are pretty easy to change, I didn't get them off ebay or have to do any wiring. I just bought the bulbs at superbrightleds.com. It was like 35$ and the ones for the light switch and heater controls were another 8$, so not bad. The bulbs are the WLED x5 and its a 194 wedge base. So I bought 7 of those with 7 of the T10S-TW twist lock bases and they worked just fine. I am waiting to see if the heater ones will work later this week. But it was fairly easy, just pulled off the trim and the instrument cluster is held in by four screws, then just took off the gear selector, brought it inside and changed the bulbs...really easy. I also remember reading something that said that the gauges are already tinted blue, combined with the regular yellowish bulbs which produced green. So I just got the blue and they turned out nice.

And Groggy, I'll just send you a pm because I do have them still.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:49 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Well, sparkmarv asked for info and I sent him a message and he suggested I put it in here for others, so here is some info on the blue lights...

Lets start with the bulbs. I got them at superbrightleds.com. Go to their home page, click on 12 volt car bulbs, then to the miniature wedge base section. The ones I got were the WLED miniature wedge base bulbs. I got the WLED - x5 in blue because they looked like they would spread the light around more with a wider angle. You will also need the T10S-TW twist lock bases found at the bottom of that page. Idk if you can use the stock bases, but I could not get the old bulbs out and I thought it would break, so I just got new bases. You will need 7 bulbs and 7 bases, comes out to around 35 bucks total.

Ok, now to the process of installing. Man, I feel like i'm writing an essay, hope this all helps.

So, first pull of the plastic dash trim, simple (you probably know how to do this, it just prys off). Now you have access to the cluster, it is just four screws, one on each corner. Then pull it straight out (not really straight, but just find a way to maneuver it out). Then take out the two screws to disconnect the shifter cable from the cluster, on the back in the corner (really simple) it just comes out as a little plastic piece. I found it easy to just take the cluster inside where you can relax. Then just take off the cardboard backing/protector and remove the old bulbs. There are seven and they are brown bases, you will find them, can't miss them. Then get the new bulbs ready and install them and then put everything back together. One hint would be to depress the metal connectors on the new bases where they connect to the circuit board because they fit a little tighter than the old ones and are tough to get on at first. (you will see what I mean when you try putting the first one in without depressing the metal connectors.) But, overall it is a very simple process, I ordered the bulbs on a weekend and they were there within the week. Hope all this info helps.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

got the part numbers for the bulbs???

Old 05-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Brekar
Rookie

That's a cool idea man. I'm gonna have to look into it. Especially since it's much cheaper than what I had planned, which was Black Cat Custom Gauges for the Durango...

Later...

Brekar...

Old 05-15-2011, 03:23 AM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
got the part numbers for the bulbs???
Its in the post, they are the WLED-x5, but since they are blue it is WLED-B5.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:53 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ahh ok, i was looking for a sequence with more numbers in it, lol

Quick Reply: New Stuff