1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

cowl induction

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Magoo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cowl induction

I saw this cowl induction kit for a Jeep Cherokee that got me thinking. There's been lots of pics here with homemade CAIs, and I'm wondering if anyone gave this setup any thought.

I have pics of the 2 possible locations, 1 on the left of TB and 1 on the right. Right seems to have more room.

I'm trying to find room for a 2nd battery, and this type of intake certainly would solve my problem if I got the air coming in from a different direction and was able to ditch the air box.

The air would have to make a "U" from the inlet to throttle body, but if done correctly it seems like it would be better than some of the "kinked flex tubes" I've seen here. DIA is 3".

http://www.thor4x4.com/THOR%20CI%20installation.pdf

Last edited by Magoo; 04-30-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the u turn would be very disruptive to the flow, much more so than using flex tubing, and most of the cais that i have seen on here specify smooth walled tubing for better flow . . .

Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

take a real close look at your wiper linkage.. you might have a problem with the arms getting in the way in there.. also, consider heavy rain water.. you don't water going into your air inlet.. before cutting consider going to a pick and pull junk yard that lets you pull your own parts.. see if you can cut up junk car first..

Old 04-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Magoo
Rookie

The "U" might be too much for air flow and the left side has some type of box under the plastic vent shroud that has a 1/4" hose attached to a plastic box (washer pump?).

Well, It looks like I gotta just get a cowl induction hood and scrap the air box! Can I mount a filter right to the throttle body?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:29 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

You could but it would be way easier to get a SRT style or some equivalent that has built in ducting that all you need is a cool air intake kit and it links to it basically.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:09 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

w/ the 4.7 you cannot (at least not w/o adapters) mount the typical round style filter right to the top (not sure what engine you have i notice yours is an 02 so i have to throw this out there), the tb on the 4.7 comes out an almost horizontal (towards the front) angle

Old 04-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Magoo
Rookie

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
You could but it would be way easier to get a SRT style or some equivalent that has built in ducting that all you need is a cool air intake kit and it links to it basically.
I took a quick look and I think this might be the ticket as long as the built in ducting left me enough room where the air box was.

Sounds like I have to find a hood and intake from the same year Ram? I'll have to look into the other models as I am not up to speed on them, but I guess I'll be searching for parts based on the 4.7l engine/Ram model?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:23 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Ram did not include an SRT model until the 3rd generation and when I referred to SRT style, I mean as in an aftermarket hood. IndyDurango has one, and it looks great and I would imagine it works great.

Here ya go! Moore makes a great product and IIRC is what Indy has and some others that have made appearances around here...

http://www.fiberglass-hoods.com/dodg...yle-hood.shtml

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 04-23-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Magoo
Rookie

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Ram did not include an SRT model until the 3rd generation and when I referred to SRT style, I mean as in an aftermarket hood. IndyDurango has one, and it looks great and I would imagine it works great.

Here ya go! Moore makes a great product and IIRC is what Indy has and some others that have made appearances around here...

http://www.fiberglass-hoods.com/dodg...yle-hood.shtml

I was a little confused on the SRT - thought you meant I would have to look at another model. I was actually at the Moore site when you posted about it.

So just to clarify, I can look for hoods based on my '02 Durango, just SRT "style." And then when looking for the CAI that fits the hood I'll still be referring to a 4.7 or am I gonna be shot down by companies telling me that I can't get intakes to fit?

Old 04-23-2011, 11:48 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Be prepared to be shot down because most companies that sell cheaper ones just don't do it, but look up K&N FIPK kit for your engine and they make one that WILL fit both your engine and work with the hood.

Quick Reply: cowl induction