1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

cowl induction

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't understand why you would want to pull air from the back side of the hood (hot and wet) when you can pull nice cold RAM air from the front?......LOL

Old 04-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Magoo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I don't understand why you would want to pull air from the back side of the hood (hot and wet) when you can pull nice cold RAM air from the front?......LOL
I guess the challenge is the 2nd battery I'm trying to fit in the location of the current Airaid intake. If that was able to "go-away", I'll have room there for battery #2. If not, I have plans on sending both batteries to the area of the current spare tire where it will mate up with the air compressor and air tank.

The SRT hood makes sense, but I was hoping it would kinda "seal" as an air box. Doesn't sound like that now - seems the hood just sends air into the filter. The K & N FIPK also seems to use the same location as the current Airaid, so unless the pic on their site is not accurate I'm sure of the gain.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

What are you wanting a second battery for? Just asking because I'm sure I run more electronics than you do and I just put a 180 amp alternator in and that supplies it more than enough.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Magoo
Rookie

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
What are you wanting a second battery for? Just asking because I'm sure I run more electronics than you do and I just put a 180 amp alternator in and that supplies it more than enough.
I want to use the vehicle for exploring the remote areas here in AZ and CA. The Durango isn't your typical "expedition" vehicle, but to the extent I want to use it for it is fine. Plus, batteries seem to only last 2 years here in the Southwest and I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere. Having 2 batteries with an isolator means I can run ACCYs off one and use the other to start the vehicle.

Here's the list of big items: Front winch, Fridge, roof lights, air compessor w/air tank. I also may want to pull a boat or camper.

Already have the 160 amp alternator for the rear A/C, and I could upgrade to 180 when that one goes.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What about a snorkel?

Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Magoo
Rookie

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
What about a snorkel?
no parts made for the Durango - probably cause I'm the only one wanting one....

If a snorkle was to be "home-made", it would be giving me the same problem as the current ducting. Plus, there's no room in the roundness of the fender.

I guess that's why I thought some type of air coming in from the top of the engine in a scoop type might be the ticket. I am not familiar of the mating with a SRT hood and the intake below, but it would be nice if it was able to provide dry air and act as a snorkel.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:54 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Well, if you really wanted a snorkel you could make a project out of it. Check this out...

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/p...oject1525.html

Quick Reply: cowl induction