1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Spare Tire/Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 PM
MRob11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire/Wheel

I've got a 02 Durango 5.9 R/T with the R/T Chrome 17"x9" wheels. I while back I looked under my D and noticed the spare tire was missing! The cable that holds it up was rusted through and it must have fell off somewhere. I've been avoiding it but i need a new spare wheel+tire. Anyone know where I can get one and what size it is. Ebay has a 17"x7-1/2" one but I thought the spare should be the same as the other wheels(17"x9"). Another thought is to get a new chrome wheel and use one of the existing ones as a spare. Anyone help/have ideas? Thanks!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Call up some junkyards and see if they have any either 16" or 17". Remember it's just a spare and really the only advantage to having the same spare as all your others is being able to rotate the spare in with tire rotations. Sometimes you have to get what's available however.

Also check on craigslist. I know I've seen R/T wheels pop up every now and again.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

id look for a 17x whatever(matched to your other rims so you can have the same size tires on it) steel rim w/ the 6 bolt pattern on it and put the spare on that, its what my truck came w/ and it works just fine when you need it.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 PM
MN_DeeDee
Amateur

+1 Shrpshtr
You cannot have a mismatched wheel/tire on a 4x4 or AWD - you'll damage the transmission. It's the reason why these type of cars do not have a space saving spares.

Yes, this may only be a spare right now, but sooner or later, probably when it's pouring down with rain or snow, you'll need to put on that tire. You should be able to get one cheap at a junk yard and try to buy a tire that's the same make and size as the other four.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MN_DeeDee
+1 Shrpshtr
You cannot have a mismatched wheel/tire on a 4x4 or AWD - you'll damage the transmission. It's the reason why these type of cars do not have a space saving spares.
Umm... WHAT??? I've never heard of an undersized tire or wheel causing problems with the transmission. I've heard of it causing issues in a differential with a locker or LSD due to it causing to slip constantly, but rarely is an LSD or locker found in the front differential of a Durango.

A blank statement like it will cause transmission problems is just stupid and not true. Take into consideration the new Jeep Wrangler loaded comes with a 2" smaller diameter wheel than the rest and I've never heard of any transmission issues.

Also a spare is just that a spare. He was asking for information on what he could get and find and to be honest, a 16" Durango wheel is going to be much cheaper and easier to come across than his stock wheel more than likely.

I do agree with shrp that in the long run, getting a matching wheel would be the best and it would make more sense, but like I sad before sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Also, MN for the record the full size spare wheel was an option, though found on a lot of them it was still an option. A 1999 Durango came in the shop rolling on a donut the other day because that's what it came with. Check on your build sheet if you have one, full size tire option will be on there.

The codes for the options are as follow:

TBBS - Full Size Spare Tire
WKBP - Matching Spare Wheel

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 04-24-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:35 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

+1 Widow.

This D has been driving around without a spare on borrowed time already. If it were me, I'd get a spare ASAP, even if it's a16. If all else fails, get a taller profile tire to make up the difference.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:48 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yup i agree the outside diameter should be the same, but the rim size really doesnt matter, just makes it easier to match the tires up.

i know that my spare is one of the worn down wranglers that came on the truck, and i now have a set of peerless widetrack bajas on the four nice rims, im not concerned about it bc a spare is just that, an extra, to be used in emergencies only (yes they are marked as being the same size as the spare)

Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

if you search at rockauto.com they have these two wheels for about $130 plus shipping..

and

I'm sure shipping will cost a bit but at the same time its a good price for a factory wheel..

Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

I just looked at the web page again.. those are for 15" and 16".. i'll keep looking

Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1316808
you gotta check under the 5.9 dakota(same year).. but they do have these rims.. 17"x9"

Quick Reply: Spare Tire/Wheel