1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tune up

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong. The Iridiums still are on the same recommended change cycle as every other plug, their error margin at which they can foul is just lower. I try and change my plugs at least every 2 years and when I changed mine out last time they looked just like the coppers I took out when I changed them before.

Also, don't expect any MPGs gained from the Iridium over the Copper. Make sure when getting Iridium only get Champion and not NGK or Autolite, or really any other brand. Just my best judgement but I've heard bad things about straying to other brands with the Durango.

You ask me if there is a difference between the different brands and an Iridum spark plug is an Iridum spark plug. Well you do the research and look at the difference I'm heat range between the brands.

Just because one plug is cheaper than the next doesn't make it a healthy alternative for the longevity of your vehicle.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 AM
bbzoe

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Wrong. The Iridiums still are on the same recommended change cycle as every other plug, their error margin at which they can foul is just lower.

You ask me if there is a difference between the different brands and an Iridum spark plug is an Iridum spark plug. Well you do the research and look at the difference I'm heat range between the brands.
The only difference I thought I would get between the coppers and the iridiums is how often I was supposed to change them. I was looking for the lazy way out. I was only going to go with champions though.

Also is there any recommendations what what antifreeze to use ( I live in south Florida). I'm doing the bottle of peak clean and flush, which I will have to drain so I need 4 gallons. I bought 4 gallons of peak long life 50/50, but I think I'm going to return that and get 2 bottles of something concentrated and DISTILLED(?) water to mix it with. I didn't realize 50/50 was so expensive lol.

Last edited by bbzoe; 04-27-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:38 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I live in South Florida too and I use Peak Long Life too and yes only use distilled water. Distilled water is free from minerals and stuff that we can't see but it will break down the inside of your engine. If you prefer to 50/50 is indeed the easier way out but yes is much cheaper than just regular coolant.

As far as the differences they're about the same. Also, as far as a flush as long as it's a name brand, it should be alright to use. Since you also live in South Florida like me here's some food for thought. Try using a 60% coolant to 40% distilled water mix. Basically what I've found withthis is it will let your engine run slightly cooler and you don't have to worry about the water evaporating so fast.

I say slightly cooler and this means like 6 or 7 degrees cooler which that can mean a lot in our sumer heat with 100% humidity.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

Chris, if you haven't already, you should definitely download the shop manual for your D. I refer to every time I need to do anything new. ... http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c...b5ba589d1986ba

Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 AM
bbzoe

Originally Posted by samnbensdad
Chris, if you haven't already, you should definitely download the shop manual for your D. I refer to every time I need to do anything new. ... http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c...b5ba589d1986ba
Great link thanks! Ill probably do closer to a 60/40 mix. Thanks guys.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 PM
bbzoe

Did the oil change today, but I think I'm leaking oil slowly from the oil filter. I was really low on oil to begin with and there was a lot of gunk on the crap around it that looked like oil and dirt mix. I was under the 3k mile mark but over the 3 month avg. Yesterday when I realized it was low I added a little over half a quart, and when I changed it today I only got a little under 4 1/2 quarts. When I put on the filter I lubed the rim and filled it with a little oil. When I filled it I missed a little so i thought that was it just running off, but when I checked it a few hours later there was still a fresh line of oil. When I tightened it I used a wrench because I suspected a leak. Mobile 1 m1-204 filter. Let me know if you want more info or pics, I swear its threaded properly too :-) .

Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bbzoe
When I put on the filter I lubed the rim and filled it with a little oil.
When you say you lubed the rim, you do mean you lubed the rubber gasket and the threads, correct? This is what I normally do and if it's leaking from the filter I don't know what to tell you.

Originally Posted by bbzoe
When I tightened it I used a wrench because I suspected a leak.
This makes me fear that is your problem because you should never have to tighten down the filter with a wrench. I always tighten mine down by hand and get it as tight as I can with my hand.

On a positive note though, you did get the correct model # filter so we can eliminate that from the problems! LOL

Quick Reply: Tune up