1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

strange code

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 AM
mxmaster1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange code

I own a 99 Durango SLT 4x4 with the 5.9l engine... I Changed out the factory stereo with a pionner premier deck.. I went to my local stereo shop and bought the wiring harness that plugs into the factory terminals.. Every wire lined up except these two wires that pluged into a little connection on the left side of the factory deck.. I assumed that these wires were for the illumination and the dimmer on the new deck because I just so happened to only have those 2 wires with no were to plug into.. Anyway with no way to tell I cut the 2 wires for the factory harness and wired them into the new harness (1. being the dimmer / 2. being the illumination) So I thought. Anyway I went to start up the truck to check and see if the deck and every thing was working properly.. As soon as I started up the truck It fired up and then instantly stopped... So I tried it a couple of times more and the exact same thing happened each time.. I then noticed a code being flashed at me where the odometer reading would be.. The code read ( No Bus) or (No Bu5) but beleve it was the first one.. I tried hooking up my OBDII reader to the truck and there were no codes???? I cant figure out what the code means or why my truck wont keep running.. Any information would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks very much for your time Tony Mac

Old 04-26-2011, 08:52 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

unplug the radio and see what happens, i have a feeling those two wires were not what you are thinking, and that you probably shorted communications wires taking down the bus.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure those 2 wires are for the radio controls on your steering wheel!!!!!!

Just unplug them!

Old 04-26-2011, 03:33 PM
mxmaster1

Thank you for the quick reply Guys.. I disconnected the 2 strange wires and left the other ones pluged in to the new deck... The truck started up instantly and the new deck works fine.... I am still puzzled as to what those 2 wires are for, I don't have radio controls on my steering wheel and when I first started those 2 wires were on there own seperate plug that pluged into the back of the factory stereo on the right hand side... I also don't know what the term (bus) means, or what it affects??? On another note ever since that (no bus) code came up I am having a problem with the transmission shifting from 1st /2nd... All the other gears seem to change fine and at a proper rpm.. I have read some of your guys other threads about tranny problems and I have so really good idea's on where to start.. I was just wondering If maybe when I hooked up those 2 wires did I fry some thing electrical with the transmission... Anyway guys if you can think of any thing please let me know... Thank You Tony Mac

Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Yes. Hydrashocker is absolutely correct.

There are 4 connections on the back of the stereo.

The Ground
Speakers Plug #1
Speakers Plug #2
Steering wheel controls

If memory serves me correctly, those 2 wires are white and purple in color, and they are wrapped in a braided line all by themselves. They *are* for steering wheel mounted radio controls. Just because your truck doesn't have the controls, doesn't mean the wiring isn't there.

Pretty much every vehicle (of the same make and model) will use the same wiring harness regardless of trim level. If you look under the seats in some vehicles, you'll see the connections for power seats, even if that particular vehicle is a base model with no power seats.

It's just easier for a manufacturer to run everything during the vehicle assembly, then they can add or leave out additional equipment without worry.

Anyways... The dimmer wire is orange, your Metra wiring harness will have 2 orange wires coming out of it, just look at the FACTORY harness coming out of the dash... And match up the correct orange wire.

My pioneer premiere head unit (which I just installed 2 weeks ago) didn't use ALL of the wires in the harness - that's totally normal.

Next time do a little more research and save yourself some headaches.

Also... Did you disconnect the battery during stereo installation?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:18 PM
mxmaster1

Yes I am definatly on of those guys that takes the extra 2 seconds to dissconnect the battery.. O and thanks rob[GL] those were the right wires your talking about and I just left them unpluged and every thing seems to be working great in the stereo department..
Cheers Tony

Old 04-29-2011, 10:06 AM
DrewsDurango98

Pcm depends on an 8 volt ref to communicate through the bus line to the cluster to operate the dash and to communicate threw the aldl connecter. you prob blew a fuse...i would check all the fuses under hood and under dash. Also seen a bad ground cause the prob.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewsDurango98
Pcm depends on an 8 volt ref to communicate through the bus line to the cluster to operate the dash and to communicate threw the aldl connecter. you prob blew a fuse...i would check all the fuses under hood and under dash. Also seen a bad ground cause the prob.
WTF......are you talking about?

The member fixed the issue and didn't blow anything (thank god), you need to re-read the response!
The truck started up instantly and the new deck works fine

Old 05-01-2011, 12:26 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

and these trucks run on a 12v feed for the PCM; engine sensors and data bus is standard 5v, not 8

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 10-10-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:32 AM
aloc107211

i have the same problem(99 dodge durango) just mine didnt start when i put a new radio in it. it just came out of the blue while i was driving and hasnt started up since. but it turns over so i have faith in it. just need help

Quick Reply: strange code