1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Woo-Hoo, new shiny brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:09 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend the Monroe Sensa-Trac (NON LOAD ADJUSTING) on all four corners if you want a nice smooth ride and the Monroe Reflex on all four corners if you still want that truck ride but still a nice ride.

Monroe Reflex ($175 total):
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MON-911220MM/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MON-911140MM/

Monroe Sensa-Trac ($160 total):
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MON-37220ST/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MON-37140ST/

Personally, I've heard good things and bad things about the KYB the fact that they're cheap, and I'm a strong believer that some things you get what you pay for. As for shocks, I believe that.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:43 PM
98SLT4ME

You can get Bilsteins for $269 shipped at http://shox.com/

That's where I ordered mine.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

im going to put in that the monroe sens-a-tracs are MAYBE equivalent to stock, i had them on my old dakota and they were NOT good, the reflex line is what i would suggest for non load-adjusting.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The are ss. That's why in the mid and long term no one is well advised to replace the shocks with stocker or aftermarket matched/close to stocker equivalent.

The Rancho air adjustable... obviously not stocker stuff.
Bils... obviously not stocker stuff.
Etc.

All else, just avoid IMHO. YMMV.

For less than $100 TOTAL DIFFERENCE, here value is judged by the end results. Guaranteed that anyones Bils with the same miles/use as another's Monroes... the comparison isn't even close. If Bils are good for most performance rides, and good enough for the v10 Viper-powered RAM as STOCK from Dodge, they are fine for any Durango. Again, to suggest less when it is less than $100 difference is akin to why not send everyone to eBay for junk-China brake pads for $12 each, and slotted junk-China rotors for $19 each from eBay and on and on and on. Why ever recommend better brakes and filters or anything? Wise up!

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 05-08-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:34 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i never said bilstiens were bad shocks, i am well aware that they are good units, but saying that they are the ONLY acceptable option is just as wrong, you are more than welcome to your opinion that they are the best, but you should NOT be telling others that they are the ONLY option, idc how much better they are, they are definitely NOT the only acceptable option. also i would like to know what you consider mid-long term since both widow and I that i know of on this forum, and my dad for many many years and on many vehicles have had very good experiences with monroe shocks, my old truck was purchased used w/ the sens-a-tracs on it, not something that i put on it.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I second that shrp, my Ram had the same setup that I have on my Durango when I bought it and the only thing the previous owner could tell me that he knew of that he had it for 3 years and didn't have any problems with them. Basically what I'm saying is that I have 4 1/2 year old Monroe shocks on my Ram that I pull massive loads with sometimes and I have zero problems with them, known on wood. LOL

For the record, I do plan on replacing my shocks on my Durango with Bilstein once it comes around to needing to replace them. For now, the Monroe's are doing a fantastic job!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

[school]

ss,

When you get older and spend your own money on auto repairs that don't last more than one time on the same damn thing, you will realize that the opinion of those that have treaded the exact path before you may have more value that you give them original credit for having. No offense and I consider you a good forum friend, but that is your only common fault amongst some of the ongoing forum responses. You offer a ton of great detail for folks here. However, some of that isn't personal/first had stuff that your own blood, sweat and cold hard earned cash created, tackled and solved. Again, no offense. Just is.

I too was suckered into "my father does this and my father did that." It simply isn't applicable IN THIS SITUATION. The only thing applicable in the DURANGO FORUM is items specific to the DURANGO. I don't even consider myself a car-guy. Some may, I don't. However, I am indeed a DURANGO guy... venture to say even a DURANGO expert.

For less than $100 more/difference, there is no value in putting anything else on a stock-like Durango. Shock performance degrades slowly. Often we can't really tell the wear is dramatic or not, even when it is. The spring setup under the axle helps that tremendously.

If a post talks about a really lowered Durango, Toxic Shocks is the best solution.

If a post talks about a raised Durango, Ranchero Shocks it is.

If the post talks about a stock level Durango, nothing should be considered... now get this quote right... "for the time and money spent, other than Bilstein shocks.

The Durango was designed with TOO SMALL OF A SHOCK from the factory. For a Dakota with a different setup on the leaf springs, and no weight on the rear because a bed weighs nothing... stock shocks are fine. For the added, constant weight of the Durango, they are simply wrong. No ifs, ands and buts about it.

---------

ww,

You too add a great amount of value to the Forum. I often wish I had you and your input on the other D forums I surf daily. Problem is you got caught in the same trap with your quote here:

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
the only thing the previous owner could tell me that he knew of that he had it for 3 years and didn't have any problems with them.
and

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
I have 4 1/2 year old Monroe shocks on my Ram
That is, who is "the previous owner" and what criteria did he use? Hell, he didn't keep the vehicle to really care about what the right call was on the shock usage. He didn't plan on keeping it, obviously, so his default choice must have been the right answer for all?

And the RAM thing, same as above. The RAM is not the Durango. This is not the RAM Forum section. Some things will always certainly apply. However shock wear isn't one of them. The Durango isn't a Dakota or a RAM. It is an SUV with its own idiosycransies discussed in a specific forum area set aside for those exact idiosycransies. Other generalities may or may not apply.

---------

Here is where I typically add the "Ripley's Believe It or Not" graphic but as pals with both of you guys, I'll spare the sarcasm. Plus, it would distract from the value of the post. As I said earlier, for less than $100 TOTAL DIFFERENCE, value is judged by the end results. Value defined as total costs: Costs of money, Costs of Labor, Costs of Time, Costs of having to do something twice, Costs of riding around for a second with something less than you should have.

Get this: With all that said, even Bils are not perfect for the Durango. You will always feel some bumps and always know you are in a frame-on vehicle. However, they are indeed the best available solution, and should be considered by everyone when factoring in TOTAL COSTS, as the only option.

Statements akin to "it is good enough on my other car X" and "my grandpappy always used to say" just isn't good enough. People ask forums usually to gain the applied wisdom of those that have treaded the same path before them. Relevant evidence as fact provided should outweigh opinion, that's all I'm saying.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. Once you read, reread and reread again, perhaps those feathers will be smoothed out a little.

Sometimes we simply need to defer to the experts statements of facts and save our opinions for another day. Sometimes we don't know what we don't know. Other times some people know it all in regards to a tiny, particular, specific subject. If we didn't act on these "sometimes" sometimes, everyone would post/respond in every post in every thread every day.

Just don't ask me anything about that play toy 4.7l some guys drive around with

IndyDurango

[/school]

There is no conceit in my family, I have it all. Its a character flaw and an advantage all at the same time.

Last edited by IndyDurango; 05-09-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IndyDurango

Just don't ask me anything about that play toy 4.7l some guys drive around with

IndyDurango
Hey! I take offense to that! I like my baby motor!

Bob

Old 05-09-2011, 10:22 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Sorry Bob!

I love the squirrel !!

IndyD

Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

im not going to keep this going, and i will agree with you that from everything i have heard about the bilstiens they are great shocks, and may be the best solution for these trucks, i havent used them, on the two trucks i have owned i have used monroes reflex shocks and had great results, i dont off-road, and i dont beat on the truck too badly, yes im young but i DO pay for all the parts and do all the work on my truck myself. that said bilstiens may be better shocks, but the monroes are still more than adequate for these trucks and telling someone that any lesser shock is not is just wrong. for the record, the monroes ARE bigger than stock, i dont have the stockers anymore to say how much but they are definitely heavier shocks

Quick Reply: Woo-Hoo, new shiny brakes.