1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

which exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which exhaust system?

so im curious what would be a good exhaust system for a 98 durango that would boost the performance... i like the look of the dual tail pipes comin out but in the end i want the most performance for my money... dont wanna really spend more than 400 on it either...

Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really my friend? Really??!?!!

LOL at your choice of forum user name... however...

Name:  gotsearch.gif
Views: 183
Size:  2.3 KB

I bet there are no fewer than 100 posts... IN THE LAST 90 DAYS... on mufflers.

::cough:: Flowmaster ::cough::

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 05-11-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:39 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For best performance you're going to want to do a CAT-back with 3" piping, a single in/sigle out 3" inlet/outlet muffler with a decent opened up tip. I say single in/out because it's proven to open up more horses and be better to the engine than a single in/dual out.

As far as muffler goes it's really personal preference. I used to have Flowmaster 40 series and it sounded great, however now I have Borla with 3 1/2" piping and a single in/out muffler.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 AM
topdogcustoms
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the Flomaster 40 series delta cost me $300 installed 3" cat back im sure Borla is well over $400

Old 05-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Tshane72
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kept the stock piping and had a 40 delta flow on there, but really was not cutting it. Just last week got the original 40, the muffler shop had to make it work because of the inlet/outlet config, then put a 3-inch Chrome tip on the end...sounds great...Borla is expensive..but from what I have heard they sound great...but you can't go wrong with flowmaster...

Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 PM
srch4me
All Star

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Really my friend? Really??!?!!

LOL at your choice of forum user name... however...

I bet there are no fewer than 100 posts... IN THE LAST 90 DAYS... on mufflers.

::cough:: Flowmaster ::cough::

IndyD
lol... i am not posting this without searching :P

i like the flowmaster series, but i haven't found much for the 98 year... all the ones ive found have had the orriginal pipe sizing... or added a 3in tip...

WW i was looking at a dual out mainly cause it looked nice but you have to relocate the spare so i changed my mind...

maybe its just me but i cant find a catback with the 3in tube...

but maybe im not lookin in the right spot

Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't need a CAT back or the costs. Stock pipe is stainless. Unless damaged, leave it alone. Same with the factory CAT. It is a highflow and really better as stock than most aftermarkets. Again, if not damaged, leave it alone.

Simply cut out the old stock canoe muffler, replace with aftermarket of choice and fill in the gap with a section of new pipe (aftermarket will be shorter than stocker.) 2.5" is stock pipe, not 3" back there. Done.

No real value other than looks to the duals. With out adding a 2nd CAT, it isn't true duals anyways. Duals usually cost most people the use of their spare tire since the art of nice pipe fabrication is lost to most turn-n-burn muffler shops.

The 40 is/was way too loud for me. I suggest a Flowmaster Series 50 SUV (not the Delta, the SUV version) single in/single out and some stainless pipe. Weld it up (no clamps), get a nice chrome tip for the backend with a rolled lip and you are set.

Dead set on wasting cash on a full Cat-back... then Borla or Magnaflow. Check eBay or Direct. Want me to Google that for you?!? LOL

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 05-12-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 PM
srch4me
All Star

lol... i was just gonna do the whole system because my cat converter went fubar on me

Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Dead set on wasting cash on a full Cat-back... then Borla or Magnaflow.
That's classic bull crap, Magnaflow is a straight through design superior to Flowmaster's chamber flow not to mention it's stainless steel with a life time warranty and they back up their products.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 AM
srch4me
All Star

ok... soo... for my set up since my cat converter is going out what do you recommend doing? looking at the flowmaster super 40 i like it... but i only say a muffler, not a whole system... i need a new cat and all so would it be cheeper to find a whole new system or to replace the muffler with the super 40 and then replace the cat converter with something from the autostore? if im not mistaken the cat at the autostore that they said i needed was like 300

Quick Reply: which exhaust system?