1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake light and ABS light came on

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Durango03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light and ABS light came on

I was driving home from work and those lights came on. I pulled into a gas station and first thing I checked was the fluid level. It was below add. So I bought some brake fluid and filled it to the proper level. Went on my way and the lights never came back on. My question is, whey would the fluid get so low? Ive never checked it before, but I thought most inpsection places checked that along with oil change places? Guess I need to check that fluid level with every fillup just to make sure its ok.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the master cylinder and the brake lines at the drums (or calipers since you have an '03) in the back. These are the two common places a leak would be found if there is one, and since the brake system is a closed circuit there has to be a leak if it's low.

Once you find the leak make sure you bleed the brakes because the last thing you want is air in your lines!

Also, if you find your dash illuminated with the famous 'ABS' and 'Brake' lights on and your brake reservoir is at a reasonable level, you might have a dull speed sensor, because that is the most common occurance with the lights on this age of vehicle.

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 05-15-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When the brake pads wear the pads move closer to the rotors and therefore the brake cylinders become filled with more fluid and it stays there.

If the master cylinder was filled to the "Full" line with brand new pads, then the wheel cylinders don't have much fluid in them. As the pads slowly wear the wheel cylinders need more and more fluid to fill the void, the level can drop to the "Add" line.

In fact, I kind of use it as a gauge! I fill the fluid to the "Full" line when I do a brake job. Then each 2 - 4 weeks I always check the fluids and don't add brake fluid unless the fluid is at the "Add" line. When it hits this level before I put more fluid in I check the brake linings and usually they are close 3/32" and I replace them, if they still have good linings I give her a little more DOT3 brake fluid but don't fill it. The reason I don't fill it is because I will be getting close to doing a brake job and I will bleed the brakes as that is part of a correct brake job. I make sure the fluid is always between the lines or on "Full", but never at or below the "Add" line. But each to their own.

Now if you fill it up and a day or week goes by and it is low then you have a leak! A leak is VERY bad and needs to be repaired immediately!!!

Last edited by hydrashocker; 05-15-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yup what hydra said. my dads 03 dakota would throw a brake/ABS light when it was time for new front pads for this very reason.

(nope, he wasnt so good at keeping an eye on it)

Quick Reply: Brake light and ABS light came on