1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Hughes or m1 intake???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:05 PM
shelbysp360#74
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Hughes or m1 intake???

Any and all comments would be appreciated. Going to change intakes..leaning towards the hughes intake..anyone have pro's/cons of either the hughes or m1. Heard m1 is expensive. Looking to make engine breath better and gain few more hp..mpg norot a concern as my shelby is a wknd toy.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:25 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

M1 only. That Hughes is a weirdly configured afterthought of stuff tossed together. Sorry for the bad news.

IndyD

Old 05-21-2011, 02:39 AM
SumAmerican
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put the hughes on mine.. it ended up hurting gas mileage but it made a huge difference while towing.. gave me lots of power at high rpms.. gave me passing power at around 65-75 mph..

their gas mileage claims are bs but they are right about moving the power curve to higher rpms..

Old 05-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Kensai
Champion

I assume you guys are referring to the Hughes F1 airgap intake? I am planning on getting one this summer before I possibly make a long highway trip and would love to see how this hughes F1 airgap would provide me with better response on the highway as well as possibly better mpg's.

But my main reason for the swapout, the aluminum surface is badly damaged where my themostat is located due to leakage I was not aware of during my first 3 years of ownership. If I have to replace the themostat again, not sure it will seat/seal right anymore. The aluminum is all pelted and deteriorated and won't be easy to smooth out.

If you are claiming mpg's are hurting you? Did you get the Hughes custom PCM that can be programmed especially for the F1 Airgap? That may be why your mpg may be hurting.

Last edited by Kensai; 05-21-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Magoo
Rookie

I was thinking about an Edelbrock intake manifold for my 4.7 as I thought I saw a part number for it in a catalog one time. Quick search led me to believe that the Hughes intake is a kit using the Edelbrock intake.

Have to do more research as I can't find it for the engine right now, but would it be safe to say that the Hughes and Edelbrock intakes are the same thing?

Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Kensai
Champion

it's separate. The Hughes F1 Airgap intake is a modified Edelbrock intake to make it work with fuel injection vs carb.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The thread is based between the Hughes and the M1.

With that said I would do the M1 hands down.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I have the M1 intake and haven't ever thought twice about it because everything from top end power to low end torque was increased substantially on my slightly modded build at the time. It did increase MPG's a little bit when I was driving on the highway but killed MPG's in the city because I was feeling the slight increase of power so I was gunning it like a bat out of hell! LOL

Quick Reply: Hughes or m1 intake???