1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Broken Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Lombard
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Argh. . .I got a TPS, and reset the computer after I installed it. I initially thought it made a difference, but it still runs pretty rough. kinda feels like it has a miss, but it hasn't thrown any codes since I reset the computer, and it wasn't throwing a code for a miss before anyway.
When it isn't in gear I can rev it, and it feels/sounds a little better at highter rpm's, but when I'm in gear I can hardly drive it. I have to put the pedal to the floor to even get it to move and it just won't rev.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It is running way to lean. Could be O2 sensors. Have you gotten it to full operating temp and see what it does?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Lombard
Amateur

I haven't. So I should let it sit there and run til it warms up? I'll go ahead and swap out the o2 sensor as well. I did notice that on the drivers side I didn't get the exhaust y pipe connected well enough and I have an exhaust leak there, could that be messing with the o2 sensor readings? I'm pretty sure that it is on that side. I'll be out of town until monday afternoon but I'll hit the ground running. I'm ready to be driving my durango again.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:38 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be.

When you reset the PCM remember to not hit the gas after start up if it dies start it again and run for about 10-12 seconds. The hit the gas and drive normal. If it is still running rough do a compression check. Remember after playing with heads and such it take a few moments to blow the crap out and seat the heads.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Lombard
Amateur

OK, I reset the pcm again, re attached my y pipe to my exhaust manifolds, same issue.

I pulled all the plugs, regapped them and noticed something odd. All the plugs on the drivers side, 1,3,5,7, looked normal, maybe a tiny bit of white powdery stuff on it (i believe that means they are running lean). on the other side, 2,4,6,8, they all look black, like they are running way too rich. I'm trying to find a place to put pics so I can post them.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

www.photobucket.com is a good place then just post the IMG links here.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Lombard
Amateur

Name:  spark1.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  57.0 KB

this is the passengers side, all 4 look like that. the 4 on the drivers side don't look like that at all.

I found a post somewhere where a guy had one side running rich, and one side running lean, he replaced the o2 sensor and the power steering pressure switch and that fixed his issue.
so I picked up both, and I can't find the pressure switch, I started a different thread about that, maybe I should move it here.

and I can't get the stupid o2 sensor out. I've been WD40ing it all day and all I can get in there is my 1/2in ratchet and don't have much leverage, but it is stuck good. soaking it more overnight and gonna try again on that tomorrow.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the 0-2 sensor will have more of an impact then the pressure switch. I believe the pressure switch simply tells the PCM to bring up the idle speed some in a high pressure / low RPM situation (i.e. steering to full travel while standing still).

I didn't realize that the O-sensors were side - to - side independant though?

Bob

Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Yea there is bank 1 and bank 2 on each Durango engine.

I'm thinking the pre-cat O2 sensor on that side first. The power steering pressure switch is on the same circuit causing a short.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Lombard
Amateur

Finally got the o2 sensor replaced. PB Blaster is awesome! but. . .it still runs the same. I can't find that power steering switch. . .here is the pic of where I think the power steering pressure switch "should" be

If I decide to take this somewhere am I gonna kill it by driving it to the mechanic's with it running half lean/half rich like it is?

Quick Reply: Broken Camshaft