1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rust, rust and more rust! (Pics inside!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:55 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by M Shark
During the winters, I recall driving thru car washes at least every month. I hate a dirty ride. And I'm pretty meticulous about cleaning. Just take a look at the first 2 pics. Even after 9 years and with 145K miles, she still looks new!

I'm just wondering if this is common with US made vehicles, our trucks in particular, coz before I had the Durango, I had an Audi A4 that took me thru the crazy winters. It was a lot harder to clean the undercarriage, but it never developed a ton of rust you see with my D.
the thing with car washes is, at least the ones around here, they dont wash the undercarraige, ill take some pics from underneath mine and post them for you, but my exhaust looks much like yours, but other than that and the hitch, its alot cleaner underneath

Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
M Shark
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool! Yah, I'd like to compare. The only car washes I went thru are the ones that spray underneath at the beginning of the wash cycle. It doesn't clean as good as having to manually spray underneath, but at least I hoped it would wash most of the salt buildup down there. In temps below 30's, it's almost torture to go out there and spray underneath. Don't get me wrong, once temps ease up to the 50's, I'm manually spraying the undercarriage myself. My Audi, I never spray it underneath manually until I get to drive her up on ramps. So for the entire winter season, I only relied on car washes. So basically I took more care of the Durango than I did my Audi. But the Audi never had gross rusting as the Durango.

Last edited by M Shark; 06-06-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That right there is just toooooo much salt on the roads.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

here is what mine looks like, more rust then i remembered being under there, but not too bad IMO for a 9 yo truck

i blame some of the increase on the fact that i havnt been around the last couple of winters to rinse off the salt as frequently as it should be done and my parents being too damn lazy.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:23 AM
M Shark
Professional

Hey sorry for the late response. thanks for the pics! Mine still looks a tad worse but it seems like the rust pattern is similar.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:34 AM
topdogcustoms
Captain

i think its time for some por 15

Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Cowboy_Customs
Amateur

wow.... can we trade?? I wont even post up pics of the undercarriage on mine, its pretty bad... I also live in upstate NY where 7 out of 10 Durango's need the tailgate replaced due to rust... i wouldn't do anything to extencive other then spray bomb it with undercarriage stuff. quite honestly my experince with the stuff is it promotes rusting NOT prevent it. I have had too many vehicles with the stuff on it and the rust was unbelievable...

Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 on por-15 that stuff is amazing. It now comes in different colors even, gotta love having friends in the auto collision field.

Quick Reply: Rust, rust and more rust! (Pics inside!)