1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango Grinding

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 PM
KJWaiteDurango77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Durango Grinding

Bought a 2002 Durango that I love but about a month ago had the durango into the shop and was told that the both upper and lower ball joints need to be replaced and also the rotors and brake pads. Well after getting the money together to do all this work, I have the lower ball joints, rotors and pads replaced, but the grinding sound is still there. I have notice also that the front rims are covered in black dust. I did some searching on the web and have seen some place say that this means the wheel bearings are shot. I was just hoping it was the upper ball joint. Is that possible the ball joint causing the grinding? or is it the wheel bearing? Maybe even a dust cover on the caliper. Where should I check first and what should I look for? Thank you for any help.

KJ

Old 05-30-2011, 08:48 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off do you notice any smoking coming from the front end at all at high speeds? I ask this because given your symptoms it sounds to me like a stuck caliper. If it's a wheel bearing it usually sounds like a loud humming noise and changes pitch when you turn the wheel a given way.

With my knowledge on these things, if you just replaced the ball joint and nothing changed it's more than likely not a ball joint. Usually when ball joints go bad they either make a popping or a squealing noise.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the dust on the rims is normal from disc brakes, regardless of what anyone else may tell you, i agree with widow a grinding sound is usually a stuck caliper, but the #2 cause is the wheel bearing, if your caliper is sticking one wheel should be hotter than the other when you stop simply feel the rim to see which one is hotter, if one is hotter by alot you have your problem right there.

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango Grinding