1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Does this sound like I need a band adjustment or more?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound like I need a band adjustment or more?

So, here's the deal, so recently my transmission seems to be acting up. Sometimes it seems to slip a little or upshift, then hesitate and downshift, then upshift again. It does this more when the transmission is cold, and lately it seems to be shifting differently. But yesterday as I was pulling on the freeway under normal/light acceleration, it downshifted into second for a brief second which was odd, because I barely had my foot on the pedal. Then I get back almost home and the o/d off light comes on and wont go off, then when I get back home there was a terrible burning smell and it smelled for almost a half hour after the car was off. I believe the fluid was changed at around 100K before we bought the car 3 years ago but idk about the band adjustment. And, the fluid does not look old or burned really, so idk what could be burning up. Any ideas?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Are you saying the fluid hasn't been changed in over 3 years?! If that's the case I'd say definitely get that purged out and change the filter because it's very likely you have a contaminant in the system, either that or a filter is clogged. On top of this when the pan get's dropped, I always try to do a band adjustment just to make sure I'm not paying for a new transmission next time around.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:06 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Are you saying the fluid hasn't been changed in over 3 years?! If that's the case I'd say definitely get that purged out and change the filter because it's very likely you have a contaminant in the system, either that or a filter is clogged. On top of this when the pan get's dropped, I always try to do a band adjustment just to make sure I'm not paying for a new transmission next time around.
Well, I didn't think three years was that bad, it only has like 32K on that change, according to the carfax from when I bought it. I don't know if they adjusted the bands though. Crap, when you state it like that it makes me want to take it in to change out the fluid and filter in a hurry. The fluid doesn't look dirty, but you are probably right.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:19 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RM:

You don't mention which engine your D has. If it's the 4.7, then you have the 45rfe trans which does not have bands, and thus requires no adjustment.

If you have the 5.9 motor, then you have the 46RE trans which does require band adjustment.

Band adjustment should be done every 30k or so when fluid and filter are done.

Don

Old 05-31-2011, 12:17 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Originally Posted by n8ech
RM:

You don't mention which engine your D has.

Really? Not trying to be rude, but it's in my sig and always has been.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

not be rude either, but your sig isnt showing up in any of your posts, you have to turn it on in the userCP before it will show up.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Really? The little info area at the top right of each post does not say anything? Cause I see it even when I'm not logged in or anything.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

That most definitely is not your signature, that's just a user information section. My signature has a pic of my ride and a quote.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:22 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Oh, ok, didn't know there was a difference, but whatever.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Yep. Signatures usually come at the end of a document so at the bottom of a post is the logical place for it to be. If you go into your user control panel and go to signature options you can add one from there.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like I need a band adjustment or more?