1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Does this sound like I need a band adjustment or more?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok, i see wha tyou are looking at, yes it does show up there, but the signature is the image and quotes like i have after each of my posts.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update:

Ok, well here is an update for you guys...

Well I took it in to get the fluid and filter changed, and the bands adjusted, however the guys finished and told me there were no bands and I brought in my haynes manual and im like ya they are right here. And then I was like well I'd like it done and they said they would do it and they drove it around back but I don't think they did anything because I know they would have to drop the pan which they didn't. Needless to say I was a little pissed, but the fluid change wasn't too expensive so I was happy about that.

But, honestly I don't think the problems I am having are band related as it it not just a little shifting issue, it is getting much worse.

Hopefully this isn't too long of a post...

1. There are shift issues when the D is cold, the 1-2 shift is rough and it is almost like the car can't make up its mind and shifts in and out or the torque converter is being funny, idk, this was a few days ago. Almost like a rocking motion as it is trying to shift.

2. Today I drove 500 miles back home and there were several problems the first of which was that i was cruising along at 70 and then the o/d just turned off and it locked me out of 4th and I was in 3rd for a while until i pulled off and then restarted the car...I did this several times.

3. Also noticed when i restarted i have no lockup of the torque converter in 3rd and 4th so it revs a little higher.

4. One time pulling off for gas it was a little harder to stop because i had no compression helping me from the motor which i realized when i accelerated from the stop and the car barely got off the line, something isn't transferring power properly.

5. A couple times when i pulled off, i could hardly get out of first and second, it just didn't want to shift.

So I drove most of the way back in third and when I got into town the shifting issues were still very much present and, there is not lockup in higher gears.

Now, I took it to a shop a few days ago and they said it might be the governor pressure something or other and a transducer? idk, anyone got any ideas or have similar problems before, I would like a little knowledge before i walk into a shop, etc.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

it sounds to me like a pressure issue, but PM Master Tech, he will tell you where to look for sure.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like it possibly could be a failing torque converter?

Old 06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Alright, i just sent a pm to master tech, so i will see what he says, and ya it doesn't seem like a problem with the transmission gears or other internal components, but does seem like a torque converter or other controlling mechanism dealing with pressure as you stated which is what the shop thought as well.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:19 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I got runnermatt pm tonight after I got home from work, and gave him or her some information on their transmission. From what I am reading, hydra maybe right. But told the member how to test the torque converter.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

Originally Posted by master tech
But told the member how to test the torque converter.
For those of us with limited knowledge of TCs, are you referring to a "stall test?" Or is there better way to test one on the vehicle?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Thats correct. You will need a scanner to perform a stall test.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 AM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Well, I will be taking it in tomorrow and seeking to get the stall test done and whatever else needs to be done. Looks like the stuff has hit the fan. My dad and I decided I should drive the car back to L.A. where I'm going to school because there are knowledgeable shops down here (we have one tranny shop back home and they will most likely screw you over) After 500 more miles on the transmission, I'd say I have almost killed it.

I was stuck in third gear for a while a gain and then got the trans temp light. Pulled off and then things were ok after I let it cool for a little bit. Then closer to school I'm coming down the grapevine at like 65-70mph, and it just drops into third again and I'm like wtf. It also kept trying to put me in second gear going up the hill, which was a little stressful to say the least. Then I get the P1740 code and continue home where shifts are absolutely horrible and coming to the driveway get the trans temp light again, but luckily I made it back with the car still rolling.

So I will take all this info and the info from master tech and I will be paying the shop a visit, and I'll let you guys know what they say. We'll see if I will be asking for suggestions on rebuilt trannies in the next few days.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Took it to the shop and ended up having the tranny pulled so they could get a better look at it....lets just say it was toast, idk how I made it back down here the other day without it completely breaking on my 500 mile trip.

When he had the tranny out and spread all over a workbench, he showed me the problems. The overdrive was done, there were metal pieces all over and broken pieces, some of the clutches were burned along with the overdrive gear being toast. There was a complete section of material missing from one of the bands, and there were metal shavings covering the magnet. O, and the lockup controller was broken as well. Its surprising that I was able to drive it that way. But oh well, the whole thing is being rebuilt now and I'll get her back Monday.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like I need a band adjustment or more?