1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 durango ac problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Nick Bailey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 durango ac problems

2003 durango AC Problems

I have a 2003 Durango SLT Plus 5.9 Lt with many of the same AC problems as everyone else. What I need is some step by step advice based on the information I have listed below.
LOCATION PROBLEMS
1. I am currently living in Qatar and the cost of parts and dealer work is very expensive. For instance a new AC compressor is about $1300 US fitted.
2. I can get some parts there, like relays etc. which aren’t too expensive otherwise I have to order through E-Bay which takes about 10 days.
3. Non – Dealer mechanics who know about these cars are few and far between and if anything is too hard they just leave it.
4. The temps here are on average 102 – 115 for 6 months of the year
AC PROBLEMS
1. The air is just not very cold in either the front nor the back
2. The air will only blow from the dash vents, I have no windscreen or feet in any combination, on either recirculated air or outside air.
3. It sounds as though there is a small hurricane in the dash in relation to the air volume coming from the vents.
4. I have no heat, (this is not a real issue, just thought I should mention it)
NOTES
1. I have replaced the AC Compressor & Dryer
2. I have replaced the Clutch Fan & Thermatic Fan & Relay
3. I have wrapped the lines in Neoprene and heat shield tape.
4. I have had the gas checked again and again.
5. When I change the air from recirculated to outside air, there is a noticeable change in the air volume and also the noise of the fan. I also noticed that if I change to outside air a lot of dust comes into the car. This indicates to me that the door for this is working.
QUESTIONS
1. What else can I check and replace without pulling the dash down, ie; relay’s – expansion valves – fuses etc?
2. I have heard that the heater core feeds are very close to the plastic air ducts, and can cause them to heat up. Does blocking the heater core feed help?
3. Is there only one blend door or are there a number for the various settings, ie; windscreen, feet, face?
4. How likely is it that the evaporator core is the problem.
5. What is the basic problem with the system? Is it the size of the compressor? The size of the Evaporator core? The size of the ac radiator? or combinations.
Anyway I hope someone can help me with this as I currently can’t drive or sell the vehicle, summer is just starting so the vehicle will just sit until xmas.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:28 PM
MN_DeeDee
Amateur

Nick,
There's a very good "sticky" on a/c problems that might help:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...solutions.html

The first thing I would check, considering how hot it is there, is whether the coolant gas pressure is correct for the outside air temps. I know you said that you checked the gas pressure, but looks like you need it to be much higher than in most other places.

If that is not the problem, I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in soon.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a blend door issue.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Durango's AC was never great to begin with. A 100 degree Atlanta environment is different from a 115 degree Qatar environment. That's a lot of heat to displace.

- On a parked hot car, keep the windows cracked to allow some to escape.
- When parked, use a windshield reflector to keep interior heat down
- Tint windows to max allowable
- When first entering a hot Durango, Max Air, Full Fan, Rear Air at Max and windows down for the first minute. Then windows up.
- Use Max AC setting with only top two fan speeds. If using mid to low fan speed, set to reg AC and not Max AC.

Why are you concerned about the evap? If there is refrig escaping and causing the system to keep being recharged, of course it will be hotter than normal. If refrig levels are holding, then the evap is fine.

Air not being directed correctly is a sign of the blend door having issues. If it isn't closing and still allowing outside air to enter, outside heat is entering too. There may be the entire problem.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 06-01-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Fumblefingers

In the case of a blend door being stuck open, wouldn't you smell the outside....fumes from cars, brake and clutch smell, when passing the local falafel house?

Just wondering. With summer here again I need to revisit. My system is awful and it used to be much better.

Doesn't get cold enough.
Awful mildew smell after I have run the A/C...stopped the car and gone to run an errand and then got back in the car, running the A/C again. Bloody awful.

Anyway, just curious about the blend door......had never even thought about that before.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Na. You don't smell outside stuff when you just have your vent air on do you? Some stuff. The blend door stuff usually just casues the above descriptions.

Mildew smell is mold/mildew in the vent and on the evap. Spray Lysol in vent and under dash so it gets sucked into and onto the entire system and that should clean it up.

IndyD

Old 06-29-2011, 01:08 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

the durango evap was always undersized for its body style they never worked right

Old 06-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Nick Bailey

Can someone tell me the main problem with this system, or is it just the capacity of the whole system?

Does buying the most expensive compressor you can find help? or does this just mean the compressor lasts longer?

I have now done everyhting I can to get the system running at capacity. but as soon as the outside air is over 95 the system just cannot cope. The average temp in Qatar for the next 4 months is between 113 & 130. basically I have to park the dodge up until I can sell her in winter. Shame on you Dodge for sending these cars out here with such poor quality AC. Such a shame because this car is so good in the desert.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

+1 hydra your problem is the blend doors you only have one working the dash needs to be pulled

Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Air not being directed correctly is a sign of the blend door having issues. If it isn't closing and still allowing outside air to enter, outside heat is entering too. There may be the entire problem.
IndyDurango
Indy hit the nail on the head right here. If the air that is supposed to be heating / cooled isn't being directed over the heater core / evaporator properly then all the "coldness" being created is just being wasted.

FWIW, I've always been happy with the amount of heat / cold that my D puts out. Travelled in the deep south during summer and it always seemed to blow cold.

Edit: Hydra caught this one post up. Sorry!!!!
Bob

Last edited by Bobman; 06-30-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 durango ac problems