1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 4.7 Durango engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmeray1
Going back out to the garage for another fun filled day of taking off the timing cover. One of the thoughts I have is to run the engine with the valve cover off so I can better hear/see the problem. I will take video of that...
I'm not sure how good of an idea that is.... the oil is really going to spurt out of there all over the place, as well as you're going to have a HUGE vacuum leak to race at 1200 -1400 rpm's or so. It's not like a normal camshaft / pushrod engine that yopu can put deflector clips in place to guide the oil down the returns.

Bob

Old 08-18-2011, 06:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've done it and it's not that bad but yea it can make a mess......LOL

+1 Bob, take off the serpentine belt and run for just a few seconds and see if you can nail down where is is coming from.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 PM
dmeray1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My original video had the belt off...so we know it is not an accessory. I am loading another video and will get it up as soon as I can get it loaded. The mess is not to bad..I put plastic on the ground.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 AM
dmeray1
Rookie

Got the new video up....you can hear the "howling" noise upon start up and then the lifter noise. I sure am stumped. Don't want to take the timing cover off again, but I don't think I have a choice. I may try to run the engine with the timing cover off to see if I can spot the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/user/1meray#p/a/u/0/FD7tEVdG2k8

Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Bobman
Veteran

Got the new video up....you can hear the "howling" noise upon start up and then the lifter noise. I sure am stumped. Don't want to take the timing cover off again, but I don't think I have a choice. I may try to run the engine with the timing cover off to see if I can spot the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/user/1meray#p/a/u/0/FD7tEVdG2k8
I can't get to the video here at work but will check it later & post. Sorry, I didn't realize that you already did the belt off running thing, my bad. Not sure about running it with the timing cover off, this is uncharted territory for me. If you do try it make sure you have the harmonic balancer back on & tight.

Speaking of that, is it possible that the balancer itself is bad? I had the rubber on one let go on my Mustang once and the motor made all sorts of strange noises at different speeds.

Another thought would be the oil pump starving on startup due to sludge in the pickup or maybe a cracked pickup tube assembly on it? It's driven by the crank and is located at the front bottom of the motor. If you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge somewhere you can screw it into the sensor fitting and observe it during startup.

Bob

Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 PM
dmeray1
Rookie

Oil pressure seems ok given the amount of oil squirting off the cam....lol I believe someone out there has heard this noise before....all I gotta do is find them. I will take the tensioner out on monday. Also pop cam off and look at the rockers and lifters on the passenger side. I quit for the weekend!!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:43 PM
TennesseeVolsFan

Originally Posted by jim1999
that noise sorta sounds like the flywheel is touching the teeth on the starter, at times? could be the bendix hanging up could be worth a check.
Dan,
I watched the new video and the sound at the start up is making me think that this is what you have happening. I went back through the thread and didn't see where you had addressed it, so my apologies if you have.
Respectfully,
Mark

Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 PM
dmeray1
Rookie

I took the timing cover off and low and behold I see that the right side tensioner is broken....I just installed the timing kit for crying out loud. Now I gotta worry about the piece that is in the oil pan. I'm sure it won't get into the pump but I will drain and flush to see if I and retrieve it.

While it is down this time I am thinking of replacing the lifters...good idea or not?
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/Durango6.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/Durango8.jpg

Old 08-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Bobman
Veteran

I took the timing cover off and low and behold I see that the right side tensioner is broken....I just installed the timing kit for crying out loud. Now I gotta worry about the piece that is in the oil pan. I'm sure it won't get into the pump but I will drain and flush to see if I and retrieve it.

While it is down this time I am thinking of replacing the lifters...good idea or not?
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/Durango6.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/Durango8.jpg
That'll make noise! Did you replace it originally with when you did the timing kit? Just an FYI (hope you already knew this) that you compress them first and put a pin in the hole to hold it, install your chains & set the timing, then pull the pins and leave them alone. If they extend too far they'll cause excessive chain wear.

Not sure about lifters (lash adjusters) as I've never replaced them on mine. Some clicking is normal, I guess it's up to you if you feel that it's excessive.

Bob

Old 08-23-2011, 11:15 PM
dmeray1
Rookie

Yes, it was part of the new kit!! And yes, I set them up and pulled the pin.

I tried to locate the piece in the oil pan with no luck...flushed with the oil that was in the motor, then two gallons of mineral spirits followed by a quart of clean oil. Stuck a magnet in to the pan but was unable to locate the piece of the tensioner. It is a big piece, so I know it will not get through the pick up. Should be running before noon tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 2003 4.7 Durango engine noise