1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rough acceleration...misfire??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:03 PM
samnbensdad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget about the blinker fluid and muffler bearings...

Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 AM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn! I KNEW I forgot to buy something at Pep Boys!!!!!

Bob

Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lmfao.......

Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 PM
jaz27
Rookie

Hydra- so full synthetic is that better or should I just stick with the regular type...
Ok so changing the plugs tomorrow after work... getting the boot replaced and minor things ready for the road trip! Thanks guys

Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

I also would like to know, I currently use a synthetic blend.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Blends are garbage!

Fully Synthetics are 4+ times as good over any conventional oil. The difference is in the base oil that they are made from.

Conventional oils have basic oil bases have a lot of garbage in them. Under a microscope they still have a lot of impurities left over from the heating of crude. It looks and acts like sand on bearings wearing them out.

There are 2 types of Fully Synthetics, Polyalphaolefin and hydrocracking

Now the basics between them is one is really broke down into a true sythetic (Poly), while the other is "legally" considered Fully Synthetic because of time manufactured (hydro). So under a microscope if you look at a hyrdo you will still see some impurities while if you look at a Poly you really won't find any. So a Poly kicks the *** out of a Hydro hands down, all the while conventional's don't even compare.

Now lets move onto "Blends"; Blends are nothing but a Fully Synthetic (FS) either poly or hydro, mixed with a regular conventional oil base. So a company takes a nice refined oil and dumps it back into a base oil that is full of impurities, well that's only going to return it back to a regular conventional type base oil, because the impurities are re-added!!!!!! The only thing here is the blend might be slightly cleaner, but it's still a conventional!

Now the best of the best is going to be a poly FS hands down right? Well oil manufactures have to issue MSDS sheets because of the toxicity of the products they produce. If you know how to read these MSDS sheets they companies then have to show what base oil they use and how to clean them up in a spill or other.

Mobil One uses a poly oil base!
Royal Purple uses a Poly oil base
Some Rotella uses a Poly oil base

Just to name a few.

Now basic oil construction;

They take the this oil base regardless of type (however they keep the separate for resell) and place them into type to be made. Here's the kicker, gear oil and engine oil are the same base oils, however they are different only in the essence of they have different additives and the additives make the different weights and properties for what they are manufactured for. Whether a 10w-30 or a 85w-140 or a 0w-20. They are all the same oil base, just different additives. The additives are built to specifications for use in a particular application. For instance a manufacture might have a special metal that needs special additives to lubricate it. The oil company builds that oil for that application, this is why you don't just use this and that oil in your motor.

Because FS oils have less impurities they create less wear so you can go farther between change intervals and still have better protection even with dirty oil.

Now if you read all of this well good, but if you understood any of it then your better off then when you started.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 06-15-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:47 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

So I paid more for junk you say. Well If I get a FS then I can go at LEAST 2x longer on it than Dino Oil right?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sythentic oil will change the interval on the oil itself, but does not change the interval on the filter, something that most people forget about when they see the synthetics that claim 15k mile changes

Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Excellent point Shrp.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 PM
jaz27
Rookie

Wow that's a huge difference for sure. Thanks for that, I too am paying more for garbage. Dam corporations and there shortcuts lol.
Yeah good point sharp.

Quick Reply: Rough acceleration...misfire??