1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

03 Durango 4.7 Ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 AM
maxfly
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Durango 4.7 Ignition coils

Ive got a really rough idle sadly. No stalls yet but she surges from a stop and idles rough in neutral and drive. The surging is really noticable from a cold start. Ive changed the plugs with champion coppers but no change at all. Plugs were pretty fried btw, the electrodes were almost gone on all eight. I dont think the previous owner ever changed them during the 78000 they ran it. My assumption is that replacing the ignition coils is step two? Which leads me to my main question. Are duralast ignition coils respectable replacements? Or should i go with a different brand? Ive had good luck with duralast products in the past so im pretty comfortable using them.
If anyone has any tips or ideas as to what may be causing the rough idle and surging im all ears.
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the ignition coils on these trucks dont usually cause any problems (i actually cant think of a single case where the coils were the issue).

Rough idle is usually one of the 3 things (since you already did a tune up ill leave that off)

1) weak battery (can still have plenty of juice to crank the engine over but not enough to run correctly)
2) IAC valve
3) TPS

Old 06-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on all of this, also make sure you clean the throttle body GOOD. When done with it all, reset the PCM and see if your idle smoothes out after 50 miles or so. The PCM will need to "re-learn" it's settings.

Bob

Old 06-17-2011, 10:34 PM
maxfly
Amateur

Good deal, ignition coils are pricey.
Ill check the battery asap as well as the iac and tps. Ill start with the tb as its the cheapest(money is tight right now) then work thru the rest.
Is there any particular order i should go thru those components?
Much appreciated gents.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:45 AM
maxfly
Amateur

Well i feel like a half wit. It was the #8 ignition coil. The one that is right under the tranny dipstick. Apparently i didnt do a very good job of inserting it. I decided to check it for codes before i started the tb cleaning and lo and behold a p0358...so yeah. Popped it off, reinserted it and cleared the pcm. Code is gone and it runs nice and smooth not quite perfect but hopefully after the 50 miles Bob suggested it will get better. Im still going to clean the tb just to be sure im getting the most out of this beast.
Thanks again for the help!

Old 06-18-2011, 03:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks for letting us know what it was, and im glad it was something simple

Quick Reply: 03 Durango 4.7 Ignition coils