Brakes Proportioning Valve??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it sounds to me like the rear drums need to be adjusted manually,

as duranged said everyone has their own method, his is the official method,

however my dad taught me a nice little trick that saves the issue of backing the pads off at the end

apply the parking brake 2 or 3 clicks (just tightens the drum up a little bit) and then adjust the drums thru the keyslot while spinning tires until you have them dragging slightly, when you are done you release the e-brake and there should be no dragging. if the braking still isnt up to par with your expectations simply try it with fewer clicks on the e-brake of do it duranged's way.

ftr my rear drums with 99k miles on them are still a royal BITCH to get off, no easy sliding.

also the fsm calls for letting the auto adjusters finish the process to even off the brakes, this is done by rocking the drums, you simply drive forward and stop hard, then back up and stop hard, do this a few times, (this is a regular thing for me to do because i live in the suburbs where you can live, own and drive a car without backing up, the only thing i back up for during normal driving is when i pull around the house to work on the truck in the garage)

Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 AM
thorze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds good to me Shrp, I 'll get on it today and report back after I'm done.

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
thorze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Resolved

Okay so it was just the auto adjusters. For some reason the drivers side was not advancing properly, so I took it apart cleaned and lubed it, the pass side adjuster lever was not making contact at all, so I had to bend the spring that keeps tension on the adjuster through trial and error to get that working properly again.
Its just weird, this was all new Napa Ultra Premium parts I put on last summer thought it would be better than this, the shoes also have some pretty good cracks in them to?????

Thanks for the help all!

Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

shoes have cracks in them? got pics?? that doesnt sound good at all

Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Napa can eat me... I'll happily drive by them with my radiator empty, engine oil dry, in the middle of nowhere... Bunch of jokes around me with the equiv quality products of any chain store..

Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yup i agree, we use a small time mom and pop type shop

Quick Reply: Brakes Proportioning Valve??