1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Correct Flair Nut to fit Brake line

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:40 PM
jtrinkle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Flair Nut to fit Brake line

I am trying to find out what is the correct flair nut I need to replace the original one that rounded off on me. The one I am looking for is the front passenger side and it is the connection from the line to the hose. I had to install a new brake line and it seem the flair nuts that comes with the line are loose. It does screw down into the hose connection but it just does not feel right because it wobbles quite a bit even when it is almost all the way fully inserted. I have went to 2 parts stores and I have yet to get someone that knows anything about a brake line it seems.

One parts store I think wanted to get me killed by trying to get me to install a new section with compression fittings and the other I don't think he even knew what a flair nut was.

I would use the original but I think my son threw it away so I no longer have it.

I have a 2000 Durango 4x4 with rear ABS.

I hope someone can help and thanks.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:58 AM
pkucan
Professional

Originally Posted by jtrinkle
I am trying to find out what is the correct flair nut I need to replace the original one that rounded off on me. The one I am looking for is the front passenger side and it is the connection from the line to the hose. I had to install a new brake line and it seem the flair nuts that comes with the line are loose. It does screw down into the hose connection but it just does not feel right because it wobbles quite a bit even when it is almost all the way fully inserted. I have went to 2 parts stores and I have yet to get someone that knows anything about a brake line it seems.

One parts store I think wanted to get me killed by trying to get me to install a new section with compression fittings and the other I don't think he even knew what a flair nut was.

I would use the original but I think my son threw it away so I no longer have it.

I have a 2000 Durango 4x4 with rear ABS.

I hope someone can help and thanks.
I haven't fooled around with brake lines on my Durango but I have on Towncars.
Is it the nut or the line that wobbles? I believe there are two types of flares on lines, bubble (single) and double. Before you tighten down the nut the line needs to be seated. Hopefully someone who has done this will post the answer. Good luck.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:19 PM
jtrinkle

The nut itself wobbles once I get it hand tight it feels secure but I feel the threads on the nut are not correct. It seems the original had a course thread and the new nut is a fine thread but I could be wrong. I am afraid to tighten it down for fear of messing up the new hose to the caliper. Looking at my original post it would help if I spelled flare correctly apparently I thought my Durango was getting a job at Applebee's.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 AM
pkucan
Professional

Originally Posted by jtrinkle
The nut itself wobbles once I get it hand tight it feels secure but I feel the threads on the nut are not correct. It seems the original had a course thread and the new nut is a fine thread but I could be wrong. I am afraid to tighten it down for fear of messing up the new hose to the caliper.
I am assuming that you got a line with two flare nuts. One into the HCU and the other to the hose?
Is the end that went into the HCU OK? I'm not sure that a fine threaded one would wobble when screwed into a course threaded opening unless the nut was the wrong diameter (too small)? You may have gotten the wrong line from the parts store. I know dealers are expensive but you may want to check to see if they have one in stock and take a look see.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just take it to a local hose shop and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Correct Flair Nut to fit Brake line