1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

My 5.9L sludge monster - proof on film!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, i decided that im going to do a test.... My D has ran standard oil all its life, the PO always had the oil changed at jiffy lube (not to happy about that) and im curious just how well synthetic oil works so, im gonna pop off my valves covers and see what she looks like under there.... take some pics and post them...

Then i'll be switching to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic High Miles 10w-30 and ill run it for a while (we are planning a vacation soon) and then ill pull the covers again and compare results... im really wondering just how much sludge and crap us under there and how well the synthetics clean it up... well see how this goes...

I have always been very scared to switch because i have heard many horror stories about how synthetics have blown the seals and caused leaks...

after doing research i decided to give it a try

Old 06-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 4.7 had always run dino oil, and after a head last summer I switched to Mobil 1. I expectedthe leaks & drips to appear and was ready for it. What did I get? Nothing except a significantly quieter running motor that can go 5k between changes (which I still do at 3500 anyways). My first oil change came out looking like pure crap, so I do believe there is some cleaning going on. Subsequent changes have been clean. Piece of mind for me is on those friggen COOOOLLLLDDD mornings when my D used to clatter for 10 seconds. Now it's quiet, and I attribute that to the oil flowing like water even when it's bitter cold.

Make the switch, you'll be happy!

Bob

Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1........The horror stories are crap, make the switch and be happy!

HS is still delirious. He was derailed by sarcasm and can't seem to get back on the tracks.
Whatever, do what you will /out.

Quick Reply: My 5.9L sludge monster - proof on film!