1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HELP 99 durango wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 PM
lemon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
it could be wiring, i would check that first, but since the pump isnt running id say thats probably what went,

btw topdog, a bad fuel filter will not cause his symptoms, the filter is considered a lifetime part and cannot be changed on its own

I'm not really sure how to check wiring or what wires to check. Should I bother with the distributor?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 PM
thorze
Rookie

You said the weather is really hot where you are? When my comp started going bad it would not run the D on hot datys or after running for a while. You might be looking at bad wiring/circuits in the computer.

The fuel pump will only energize after the comp. does its checks and okays the system, then energizes the pump. Turn your key to on and test the wires that feed the pump for voltage, if none is present and it is not hot as hell outside, give the computer a smack with your hand if possible and or wiggle the three plugs on the botttom of the comp, and see what happens, mine would start up if it cooled down enough. Sounds bizarre I know but it worked for me.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It won't do anything messing with the distributor. Just replace the fuel pump.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM
lemon
Amateur

Ok guys forgive me I'ma little slow some times... Ok I got a fuel pump and I took off the plate that goes under the tank.. NOW I can't get the filler and vent hoses off the tank. I released the hose clamps but the hoses will not come off I pryed em, I pulled on em with both hands and they will not come off... So they are stronger than i am or something is up with the clamp. On the back of the clamp there is metal strap conected to the clamp ring and extends around into the inside of the hose, is this to keep the clamp on the hose or to keep the hose on the tank I'm at a loss? The hose is very loose and takes very little effort to twist and turn.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:14 PM
lemon
Amateur

Originally Posted by lemon
Ok guys forgive me I'ma little slow some times... Ok I got a fuel pump and I took off the plate that goes under the tank.. NOW I can't get the filler and vent hoses off the tank. I released the hose clamps but the hoses will not come off I pryed em, I pulled on em with both hands and they will not come off... So they are stronger than i am or something is up with the clamp. On the back of the clamp there is metal strap conected to the clamp ring and extends around into the inside of the hose, is this to keep the clamp on the hose or to keep the hose on the tank I'm at a loss? The hose is very loose and takes very little effort to twist and turn.
Nevermind like I said sometimes I'm slow I just dropped the tank and the came right off....

Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 PM
lemon
Amateur

D O N E !! runs like a top prob better than before !! Thanks guys for the info and the help

Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

np man, glad we could help, and thanks for letting us know what solved it.

Quick Reply: HELP 99 durango wont start