1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HELP 99 durango wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:02 PM
lemon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 99 durango wont start

Hello, I have a 99 durango 5.9l 4x4 and it will not start.. My wife drove it to work and when she left to come home it would turn over and try to start but would just chug a few time and stop. Some people looked at it and said that it was prob the fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. Well the next day when she got back to work she decided to ask someone else to look at it and when she got in to show them it started and she then drove it home. I checked the sensors on the trottlebody and cleaned it a bit and it is now back to the way is was.. it will just turn over.. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what could be wrong? All fuses checked out ok I dont hear the fuel pump in the back when i turn the key but I never really noticed if I could hear it before. I also was told that the crank sensor could be bad but I really dont know where to find that and or if it's accessable for me to just check. Also would is be possible to damage that sensor with a rear seal leak?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

1) you posted this in the wrong section, ill move it for you https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-d...s-section.html

2) if it started again in the morning chances are that your fuel pump is fine, the filter is part of the pump assembly and is a lifetime part, most likely NOT your problem.

when you turn the key on you should hear the pump prime and then shut off, you can check if you have fuel pressure by pushing on the schrader valve on the rail and see if there is any fuel coming out (it will probably shoot out so be careful doing this).

the crank sensor could be the issue and i believe it is located under the distributor cap on the 5.9l engine, should be pretty simple to change once you get in to it.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

I believe the sensor under the distributor cap is the cam sensor (aka pickup sensor)

Old 07-01-2011, 12:35 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you should check the fuel pressure.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:27 PM
lemon
Amateur
Unhappy

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I think you should check the fuel pressure.

So, I checked the fuel pressure, I think. I unscrewed the cover from the pressure valve ( The thing that looks like a tire valve? ) with the key on and off and and pressed the plunger and no fuel came out and also when you turn the key I cannot hear the fuel pump prime. I didn't pull the distributor cap off because I didn't want to follow all of those wires while it's so hot outside. I have to gu buy a tps sensor cuz i'm dumb and tightened the throttle body down and wedged the plug under the sensor and popped it off. I'm thinking I'll just replace the fuel pump and filter then get a tune up kit there are 150k+ miles on pretty much everything under the hood. Maybe after I get all that done I'll figure out why it smells like burning oil all the time but never really seems to go through any.

P.S. I'd also like to mention that during that first time it wouldn't start someone hooked up one of those things you put on the computer to get the codes as to whats wrong and no code was given.

Oh and one more thing. If i just turn the key it just cranks over and over and over.. BUT if I turn the key to on so that the light and radio start etc about 5ish times then try to start it it turns over and you can hear it try to start then it just shuts off.

Last edited by lemon; 07-04-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: more information
Old 07-04-2011, 04:42 PM
pkucan
Professional

Originally Posted by lemon
So, I checked the fuel pressure, I think. I unscrewed the cover from the pressure valve ( The thing that looks like a tire valve? ) with the key on and off and and pressed the plunger and no fuel came out and also when you turn the key I cannot hear the fuel pump prime.
Since I don't have a 99, I would venture to say that you might have a bad fuel pump relay?

Old 07-04-2011, 05:15 PM
lemon
Amateur

Originally Posted by pkucan
Since I don't have a 99, I would venture to say that you might have a bad fuel pump relay?

I switched the relay with on of the same number with no results

Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 AM
topdogcustoms
Captain

then the filter is bad and you might as well put a fuel pump in it since you have to drop the tank

Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 AM
topdogcustoms
Captain

also check the wiring you could have a bad wire back there

Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it could be wiring, i would check that first, but since the pump isnt running id say thats probably what went,

btw topdog, a bad fuel filter will not cause his symptoms, the filter is considered a lifetime part and cannot be changed on its own

Quick Reply: HELP 99 durango wont start