1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 dodge durango transmission slipping/stalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:17 AM
brucew824
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge durango transmission slipping/stalling

I have an issue that I will do my best to describe as I have never experienced anything like this before. This problem is intermittent, runns fine for a while or even a few days but then today was constant. While running, ususally at higher speeds(65-75)the durango will act like it drops out of gear or has no power, rpm remains contant, then either pull off the gas or giv it a little and it picks back up. Today however it happened at all speeds and almost wouldnt run at all. And I noticed today that it may be pulling the power down, as the lights dimmed and when I pulled over and left it in gear the engine began to die and the lights continued to dim. However when I put it into park everything came back to normal. If something is shorting out or grounding it is only doing it when its in gear. I have had it gone thru and the pan is clean, filter good, connections on the coils good. I would really appreciate any suggestions, I will see if I cant check codes in the mean time. Oh one more thing, when the O/D off button is pushed the check enginee light comes on, but goes off when depressed again.
Thanks for any help, Bruce

I have been talking to a few people and had an interesting idea posed, could a faulty catalytic converter that is restricting exhaust flow cause something like this? I realize I may be dealing with a large proble and at least one minor one. ANd also wanted to note that I drove home from work this morning and had no significant issues.
Thanks again

Last edited by brucew824; 07-05-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: adding new info
Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be a bad alternator or battery. When was the last time you replaced your battery? When was the last time you had the output checked on the alternator?

Other thing it could be is a bad TPS sensor.

Lastly, possible PCM failure. If it happens more when it's hotter outside place a bag of ice on the PCM and see if that stops the issue. If it does then it could be overheating (meaning a bad PCM). Also check your connections at the PCM but remember to unhook your neg battery cable first.

Quick Reply: 1999 dodge durango transmission slipping/stalling