1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 dodge durango shut off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:46 PM
meme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge durango shut off while driving

I have a 99 durango slt that shut off while driving 2 days ago and will not start. it will crank but not start. there is spark and fuel pressure. everything from the fuses, the battery, the plugs, the coil, the sensor under the distributor cap plus some other have all been replaced. it was towed to the mechanic yesterday and there were no codes showing up so the mechanic said he did not know what was wrong so it was towed back home.

does anyone know how to fix this problem??

all answers and suggestions are very helpful.. thanks.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:35 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Check voltage at the coil and make sure it's giving proper voltage and make sure the distributor is sending proper voltage to all 8 cylinders. Next I'd replace the crankshaft position sensor which is located at the right rear portion of the block, which is accessed by removing the passenger side fender liner.

When you say there is spark and fuel pressure, you did measure the spark from more than one of the plugs correct? Also, you did measure the fuel pressure while cranking because if not, it could be a fuel pump that has enough fuel pressure to prime but then falls off while cranking.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1

I was thinking Crank sensor as well.

Also could be the PCM as well. You can get one pre-flashed for direct bolt in on ebay or other places.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM
meme

Thank You both for your smarts :-) come to find out after ALL the aggravation it was the NEW coil that was bad to begin with put the old coil back on and what'd ya know it starts.

I have another question that maybe you can help on. Does anyone know what would cause the brakes to lock up? Everything has been replaced hubs, cylinder, pads and rotors. It's been a guessing game on if I'm gonna stop or if I'm gonna be attached to someone else's vehicle. Please help non of the mechanic shops can figure it out.

THANK YOU

Old 07-11-2011, 01:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

new thread time man

Quick Reply: 1999 dodge durango shut off while driving