1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Incredibly horrible gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I've wondered on the fan clutch, mine at least seems to cut out at about 2800 RPM, is this normal? How do you check it?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you can check the clutch by spinning the fan by hand(watch how far it goes after you stop pushing it), if it goes more than 1/2 a turn its bad or if it doesnt turn its bad (siezed) anywhere in between is good.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

Ok, thanks.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Denso is not OEM.
If you know who it was why didn't you correct it with the correct maker instead of just stating a blank statement?

Well I went and checked em just to make sure and I stand corrected, my Ram had NTK sensors in them. However, since I haven't had this Ram sense brand new I don't know if they have been changed out sense then. I asked a friend at the dealership to check it out and new replacements are Denso, now if they changed manufactures, or if it was just that dealership, well I don't know. But that was what was on the shelf. So after doing my homework that's what I went with.

Regardless of the fact, they run great with no issues and is the gold standard over NTK in the Ram sections with NTK coming in second. The fact of the matter is, they are currently lasting the longest in the Ram's and happen to be the best at this time so they went in and I'm completely happy with em. Besides, the set ups are nearly identical anyway.

im only familiar with 2 of the setups, CA and regular (i believe its referred to as 48 state) emissions
The 3rd example is the 3 - O2 setup which is around but not used much (I think it's called the (Heavy Duty Emissions Package):

1/3 ---- Drivers pre-cat
2/3 ---- Passenger pre-cat
3/3 ---- After-cat

If I remember correctly this is what my old 1998 Durango setup was.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeppers, NTKs. In regards to the O2s, I have a BRAND NEW dealer supplied, stocker in the garage just waiting for me to install it.

It's for a 2000 D, PreCat 02 sensor, part #56041213AF stamped Made in Japan by NTK.

Who's NTK? NTK is the brand name for oxygen sensors manufactured by NGK Spark Plugs. NGK is the world's largest manufacturer of oxygen sensors with over 10 million sensors produced annually.

BTW, Bosch have reportedly short lives, all the others are somewhere in between. OEM stocker (NTK) O2s usually last forever on a properly maintained Durango.

Your 1998 Durango had a single pre cat and a single post cat O2. There were not 3, especially in a 1998, unless the Cali emissions had something different I wasn't aware of. I also didn't think you had a Cali setup, just a standard Federal one.

HTH,

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 07-18-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Yeppers, NTKs. In regards to the O2s, I have a BRAND NEW dealer supplied, stocker in the garage just waiting for me to install it.

It's for a 2000 D, PreCat 02 sensor, part #56041213AF stamped Made in Japan by NTK.

Who's NTK? NTK is the brand name for oxygen sensors manufactured by NGK Spark Plugs. NGK is the world's largest manufacturer of oxygen sensors with over 10 million sensors produced annually.

BTW, Bosch have reportedly short lives, all the others are somewhere in between. OEM stocker (NTK) O2s usually last forever on a properly maintained Durango.

Your 1998 Durango had a single pre cat and a single post cat O2. There were not 3, especially in a 1998, unless the Cali emissions had something different I wasn't aware of. I also didn't think you had a Cali setup, just a standard Federal one.

HTH,

IndyD
Ya, I looked back through my postings and found it. I had 1 pre-cat and 1 post-cat. In the Rams they have the 3.......LOL......In fact on my V-10 I only have 1 pre-cat on both downpipes and that's it, no post-cat on it............That's how I was able to gut my CAT's with no issues......

Anyway, I was looking into those sh!ty Bosch O2 Sensors and the reason they are crap is they are made in the central South America. They make them cheap with cheap help and cheap parts and sell them for a huge markup.

NGK company is a great company, however I think the Japan company makes a lot of OEM stuff. I am wondering where they make their regular line because the numbers are different?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 PM
98RangoSLT
Amateur

HTH,

IndyD
You mean "brand new" in 2008?

http://www.durangoclub.com/forum/vie...r=asc&start=30

Last edited by 98RangoSLT; 07-20-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

LOL

I guess that's what he means......

Old 07-22-2011, 12:50 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RangoSLT
Oh my, I have a stalker.

Nope Detective Columbo. Brand new NOW for the rear. That post you sleuthed was when I was resetting the CEL due to my front O2 finally getting a mind of its own.

My post you linked was in Feb 2008. Here in 11/30/2008 the front was actually swapped. The info and photos may be useful for someone in the future here at DF:
http://www.durangoclub.com/forum/vie...ighlight=p0420

Now my rear STOCKER 229,000++ O2 is bad/going bad more often and needs swapped once I get under there again. As I stated yesterday, it is still new and in the garage. Need a current photo of that new and still not installed O2 and today's newspaper dated headline as proof Detective??

Last time I tried to swap it, I couldn't get it to turn. In the same thread you smartassedly linked, posts in 12/09 and 3/10 I refer to the rear acting up occasionally. Here is a post 2 years, just last June where I reference the rear O2 purchased that is still in the garage today. http://www.durangoclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136941

Let's get up a little earlier in the morning next time, shall we Name:  icon_bangwall.gif
Views: 16
Size:  1.4 KB

HS, as for you... bite me.

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 07-22-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

HS, as for you... bite me.

LMAO!.......

Quick Reply: Incredibly horrible gas mileage