1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Durango making whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh that's BS. Even rebuilt they should not make a sound unless they screwed up the gear placement in the first place. Have you ever noticed how a brand new trucks gearing wines?.........LOL........Yea right, they don't wine and they shouldn't wine on a rebuild hands down.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Oh that's BS. Even rebuilt they should not make a sound unless they screwed up the gear placement in the first place. Have you ever noticed how a brand new trucks gearing wines?.........LOL........Yea right, they don't wine and they shouldn't wine on a rebuild hands down.
Agreed, if there telling you that some of them whine after rebuilt, its time to look for a new shop.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 AM
hbarker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More I think about it,, I think Super Lube should have to pay for my rear diff rebuild, they are the ones replaced the fluid with the wrong kind.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ohhhhhhhhhhh

Damn, you better be talking to them!

Old 05-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Ronnie J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjerrn
Hello all, New guy here but have been lurking and using the information here to do a bunch of work to My 1999 Durango with the 5.9.

thanks in advance for any and all help.

here is my problem, this weekend coming back from camping rear diff started whining. it is dependent on speed, worse when you go faster. it is does not change based on load. it is just a constant whine/ hum.

I pulled the rear diff cover and besides the normal blackish pieces on the magnet no metal. Truck has 160k on it and has regular maintenance scheduled done to all the fluids.

i went by a transmission shop and they want to rebuild the entire rear to include the gears. the wear pattern on the gears looks good, but i was thinking it was a pinion bearing, (Had one go out in my old jeep).

what are my options and do you really think it may be? I do not think that i trust the transmission repair facility. but all of the ones around here are quoting $1200. I can get a salvage rear end that has 90k one it for $300.

I can turn a wrench I just hate not knowing what is going on before i start. Also I do not have all of the needed tools according to the service manual.

I have done a search and have seen a couple of writeups I am just not finding the answers I need.

Thanks again this is a great site.
I know that is an old post, but I had the exact same problem you had. I own a well-maintained 1999 Dodge Durango SLT 5.9. The problem was a damaged pinion bearings/both races, damaged crush sleeve, and pinion seal. I both pinion bearings, both races, crush sleeve, and pinion seal replaced. Had limited slip additive and new gear oil added. Cost of repair will run between $800-$900. For me it was money well spent because I purchased my Durango brand new 21 years ago. I used it to haul and pull trailers, to commute to work, and has been with me to two countries overseas for six years. It still runs quiet, strong, and sweet. I looks great inside and out. Plus, it’s paid for.

Quick Reply: 1999 Durango making whining noise