1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Synthtic Tranny Fluid ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Synthtic Tranny Fluid ??

So, i decided to switch everything over to synthetic fliuds. Got me a jug of mobil 1 for the engine and a few bottles on mobil 1 for the front and rear but, i seen they had mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid??

I was wondering would that work on our rigs?? if so what one?? or are we stuck with conventional ATF +4?? Also, if we can use it in the tranny could it also be used in the transfer case??

BTW, Autozone has a deal if you buy a 5 quart jug and a 1 quart jug then you can get $10 bucks off.... heres the coupon....

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_$10_off_Coupon_at_Autozone.pdf

Old 07-23-2011, 06:51 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Use valvoline atf+4, it is full synthetic, the owners manual says dexron III can be used in the transfer case or atf+3 which is discontinued, so atf+4 for the transfer too. I wouldn't use two different types of fluid when one can be used for both.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 adukart

Old 07-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
Use valvoline atf+4, it is full synthetic, the owners manual says dexron III can be used in the transfer case or atf+3 which is discontinued, so atf+4 for the transfer too. I wouldn't use two different types of fluid when one can be used for both.
Valvoline ATF+4 it is!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Thax
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All ATF+4 fluid regardless of brand can be considered Synthetic. All use a Group III base oil from one of three Chrysler approved base oils. The additive packages are from 3 Chrysler approved companies as well. In short all ATF+4 regardless of brand are nearly chemically identical. Valvoline ATF+4 is near chemically identical to Supertech ATF+4 or Mopar ATF+4 , I just use ATF+4 so I can save 3 bucks a quart and get the same performance.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Thax
All ATF+4 fluid regardless of brand can be considered Synthetic. All use a Group III base oil from one of three Chrysler approved base oils. The additive packages are from 3 Chrysler approved companies as well. In short all ATF+4 regardless of brand are nearly chemically identical. Valvoline ATF+4 is near chemically identical to Supertech ATF+4 or Mopar ATF+4 , I just use ATF+4 so I can save 3 bucks a quart and get the same performance.
That is an incorrect analogy.

The initial development was done using Shell's XHVI base oil. Only much later were other Group III base oils approved. (Currently ( back in 2000), SK in Korea and PetroCanada are the only additional approved base oil suppliers.) The use of Group III base oils is probably the leading cause for ATF+4 being a more expensive fluid than ATF+3 (which according to the paper uses a Group II base oil).
Not all ATF+4 is made from Fully Synthetic base oils. Group III is only approved base stock, not standard. This is a miss classic conception. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html

With that being said go to any Auto Parts store and look at the bottles or read the manufactures MSDS sheets and there you will find your proof.

Now the original question was can Moblil One ATF (Not ATF+3 or +4) be used in the transmission? Well if you really look at it, the fluid is better than ATF+4, in fact they used ATF+4 when testing it in CAT and Alison because it had all the additives they wanted, but it didn't hold up as they had hoped. So then they modified the fluid even further to hold up where the fluid failed, but only in those remarks.

So with that said, it should work great, but I don't want to throw a $2000+ dollar transmission at it just to test the theory. However, with that being said I would use it in the Moblil One ATF in the Transfer Case. But for testing purposes, the last transmission fluid change I did (about 5k ago) it was filled with Mobil One Fully Synthetic ATF without issues so far. It was fully purged as part of the test.

However, right now Valvoline has a Fully Synthetic ATF+4 lubricant that is approved under Chrysler, and is made with a Hydro-Cracked base oil. Now as I've said before, Hydro isn't the best but it's better then conventional hands down. I don't know of any manufacture as of right now that is using Polyolefin base stock in ATF+4, but then again that is group IV and that could be the reason.

With that being said, I use Valvoline Fully Synthetic ATF+4 in my truck and so does many other members.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 07-25-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:15 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

what do you currently have in your transmission hydra, you stated 2 different things just now

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
But for testing purposes, the last transmission fluid change I did (about 5k ago) it was filled with Mobil One Fully Synthetic ATF without issues so far. It was fully purged as part of the test.

With that being said, I use Valvoline Fully Synthetic ATF+4 in my truck and so does many other members.
so which is it hydra, you using mobile 1 ATF or Vavoline ATF+4???

Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Opp,s

Well for the regular members I am telling them to run Valvoline Fully Synthetic ATF+4 as it runs great and I use it, but I recently talked to my trans guy and found out that he put in Mobil One ATF instead of ATF+4 because he is having better luck with it and it's a hell of a lot better.

So I ended up being the guinea pig so to speak. Only time will tell until next year when I pull it out and I'll again use Valvoline Fully Synthetic ATF+4. In fact that Valvoline FS +4 is what I am using in my T-case right now, well the NAPA FS name version that was bottled at the Valvoline plant.

Quick Reply: Synthtic Tranny Fluid ??