Browse all: Cooling System
Print Wikipost

Radiator flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 PM
3wheelnuts
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator flush

HI Guys, I just bought a 99 Durango with the 5.9 V8. Runs nice and dosen't overheat but the guy I purchased it from filled the radiator with water(standard tap). The water turned all rusty(go figure). Anyway, what is the best way to drain flush and refill? Also, after the drain and flush, how much water is still trapped in the motor? I ask that because I am trying to figure out the mix for the coolant.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3wheelnuts
HI Guys, I just bought a 99 Durango with the 5.9 V8. Runs nice and dosen't overheat but the guy I purchased it from filled the radiator with water(standard tap). The water turned all rusty(go figure). Anyway, what is the best way to drain flush and refill? Also, after the drain and flush, how much water is still trapped in the motor? I ask that because I am trying to figure out the mix for the coolant.

Thanks
Drain the radiator at the drain in the lower left side of the radiator. after it stops draining there are 2 drain plugs under the engine block one on each side of the block... If you pull the drain plug out an nothing flows there may be a small layer of rust there ... just used a screwdriver or something to punch it out.. that should get most of the coolent out..

givin the situation you should( if you have not planned already) replace the t-stat too ... Do yourself a favor and buy plain generic aspirin...take 1, and put the thermostat in boiling water to open it... pull it out with pliers, and hold the aspirin in the gap of the thermostat opening to hold it open... as it cools, it will clamp on the aspirin... install it like that, and when you refill the cooling system, all the air comes out the top radiator hose... start it and top it off... as it runs for the first couple minutes, the aspirin will dissolve and the thermostat will close until it heats up!

hope that helps...

Old 07-24-2011, 05:01 PM
3wheelnuts
Default T-stat

Is there a way to burp this thing without pulling the t-stat?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:04 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea i believe burping the 5.9 is just running it through a full hot/cold cycles and the air will work its way out.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 PM
3wheelnuts

I found the block drain on the passenger side(front side of block). I can not locate the drivers side. Is it behind the starter?

Last edited by 3wheelnuts; 07-24-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM
3wheelnuts

Found it, nevermind. What kind of $#@$%#@ place is that to put a drain plug. Can't break it loose without pulling the starter.

Quick Reply: Radiator flush