New Headlights, What to Pick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Hydra,

You tell me my choices are mexi fixed but then suggest to me the exact same thing?

TDC,

If you prefer HIDs and the funky looks they offer, then more power to ya. I just want a cheaper alternative then getting my current lights restored, and I want something clear.
No, you posted a "Clear" but you stated "Chrome" and in your thread is "Chrome", all I was trying to say was not to do the "Chrome" backing and instead do the "Clear". This is what "Chrome" looks like and there is a difference, but on some it stands out and some it doesn't, it really is a buyer beware:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98...item2563b14120
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...item588ebada62
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-04...item5645222868

It's in the backing plate of the light. You can really see it in this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...item484175ebff

The other thing I was trying to show you is to do the 2 piece design whereas you posted up the single piece design. This one will give you a great factory look with the ease of installation: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-04...item5645b428f4

Old 08-27-2011, 02:23 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bidding ended on that last link, but I just found these that look almost identical to factory but 1pc and clear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...50415845687308

Then theres these, 2pc clear which is what you were going for I think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...74660155535539

Old 08-27-2011, 03:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

They both look really nice!

The one piece are a PITA to install. The 2 piece will just bolt in.

I think the one piece looks more like stock whereas the 2 piece looks more performance/stock and will look better on your rig not to mention they are easy bolt in. You will need amber bulbs (1157A) for the clear corners. In fact, you could even set them up at the same angle as the old ones and be very close to alignment, however you would still need to align the lights. But that's my opinion.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Cowboy_Customs
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

moparman, If your not liking the results your getting from the headlight restoration kits, let me advise you a bit here. Do this to the letter, it takes time to fully restore a headlight thats been badly clouded. I did this on 2 seperate occasions on my girl's '00 Concorde, and to get my perfectionist results i'm going to do it again, but in 1500 and 3000 grit steps, it gets easier after the first time you do it.
I bought the Meguires headlight restore kit primarily for the buffer and the hand held sand paper holder thingamajig... Here is what you need, Headlight buffing compound, 1000 grit sand paper, 1500 grit, and 3000 grit, a buffing ball, meguires, mothers or the like, but small enough to do the job, a water bottle with sprayer, and about an hour...

Start with the 1000 grit paper and move it evenly across the headlight side to side untill completely "FROSTED" spraying the light on a pretty constant basis to keep things wet. A little pressure may be required.

Next change to the 1500 Grit and do the same thing as before but in an up and down motion.

Next the 3000 grit in a side to side motion spraying the headlight with the water to keep things wet. Continue the 3000 grit untill your happy, dry things off, and now apply the Plastix and buff it out according to the directions.

And finally the protectant is the last step.

This is what i do and the results are a near perfect factory clear headlight.

I used up the Meguires paper, and just went and got more 3M pro series stuff in those grits from advance auto parts, it has a backing that allows it to attach to the Meguires supplied hand held piece. The meguires kit includes i believe 1500 and 3000 grit. But depending on the severity of the cloudiness I like to start with 1000 grit for bad headlights. If you want anymore assitance or got questions on the process feel free to ask!!

The Meguires kit includes a headlight compound (plastix) 2 stages of sand paper, the hand holder for the paper, the buffer which attaches to a drill, a microfiber cloth and a headlight protectant. And obviously directions.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Cowboy_Customs
Amateur

As for the headlights, both will look good on that color red. Think of a firetruck for the chrome version, and black and red just naturally work together.....

my $.02 anyway...

Old 08-28-2011, 01:35 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

I just don't get why the 1pc are so "difficult" to install. Don't they still use all the pre existing holes from the stock 2pc?

Cowboy,
I have used the sandpaper restoration kits many times before, so I know how they work. Again I will say I want a clear look, I hate the OEM non clear plastic. They used clears on the 2001 grand cherokees, why not the durango?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Yes,

Because you can't access the screw in the middle and one on the inside because it is a one piece, verses when the corner is out you can get to the bolt, then you use the screw to set the corner.

But hey, it's just my opinion and a few other here on the forum. If you want the one piece so be it. Just note that the install is harder is all. Get what you want and post your results.

When I do my new head lights on my Ram I'm going 1 piece, but that is what I want, however they are completely different from the Durango.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:06 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Oh thats right, I forgot the corners came off lol. So then How would one go about securing the assembly? I really want the 1pc.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Cowboy_Customs
Amateur

I just don't get why the 1pc are so "difficult" to install. Don't they still use all the pre existing holes from the stock 2pc?

Cowboy,
I have used the sandpaper restoration kits many times before, so I know how they work. Again I will say I want a clear look, I hate the OEM non clear plastic. They used clears on the 2001 grand cherokees, why not the durango?
I got ya now! That is a good question, why not the Durango's as well? I havent done mine yet and there pretty clouded. But I completely agree with you I much prefer the look of a clear lens. Im quite anxious to see how yours turns out if you do them, i'll be doing mine in the near future.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Durango03
Veteran

Oh thats right, I forgot the corners came off lol. So then How would one go about securing the assembly? I really want the 1pc.

Look at some of the eBay 1 piece auctions, some have videos on how to install. It looks like you almost have the wedge the socket against the paint to secure it, I dont like that Idea. I will be going 2 piece as well when I swap mine out.

Quick Reply: New Headlights, What to Pick?