1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Several codes P0733, P0734, and P1781

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You want a rubber gasket for best results....IMHO.....All you do is put a light coat of grease on it to make it wet and install. No messing with RTV and it's a great seal that can be re-used.

Make sure you only use ATF+4 transmission fluid. I like Valvoline Fully Synthetic ATF+4. You also have 2 filters on that transmission, a spin on like a oil filter and a general flat one. I have seen transmissions raise the operational temps, so don't rule that out. Ensure you properly "burped" the cooling system.

How to reset the PCM: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ine-light.html
2000 and newer Durangos have a built-in system that can display check engine light (CEL) codes without the use of a scanner. 1999 and earlier Durangos must be read with a OBD-ll scanner. Your local auto parts store can get the codes for you either way and will usually do this for free.

2000 and newer directions:
Turn the key to ON (not start), OFF, ON, OFF, ON and leave it there. If you look in the odometer window the codes will flash any code(s) with a small delay between each result. Each code should be in a P#### format, and will say PDONE when completed - turn your key to OFF and remove. Use the OBD code list to determine what problem the computer detected.

To reset your engine codes:
Remove the negative terminal of your battery (10mm wrench).
Turn your ignition key to START and hold it there for about 15 seconds.
Turn your ignition key to OFF and remove it.
Connect the negative terminal of your battery.
Start but do not hit the throttle. Idle for about 10/15 seconds then turn off.
Restart the truck and drive as usual. It will take at least 12 starts and 48 miles to fully retune the computer. Hard Codes leave a shaddow for 40 full cold starts.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:10 AM
pontsgirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay sorry it took so long to get back. I finally got to dropping the transmission pan and I checked around the valve body. Everything looked good, I decided since I had everything down I would change the filters and put in new fluid. I reset the TCM again and cleared the code. After a day of driving the check engine light came on and it gave me P1734. After this I decided to call the transmission shop and see what was going on. That same day the light went off and I haven't had a problem with the transmission since. I am not sure if the TCM needed to reset itself or what but it feels good shifting so I am assuming it is good again. Now the problem i am having is when I come to a hard stop, the idle drops under 500 and sounds like it is going to die. I have no ideas where to go next. Any ideas would be great...thanks!!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Most likely a torque converter solenoid, but you could be having a Governor issue. PM master tech.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:27 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Pontsgirl
If the code comes back, replace the solenoid pack or valve body assy. Thats because your transmission is a 45RFE/545RFE.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:47 PM
pontsgirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll watch for any codes, if anything pops up I will definitely try switching out the pack. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Several codes P0733, P0734, and P1781