1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Stereo Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:05 PM
RonRock
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Stereo Replacement?

Are there any threads with guidance on changing out my radio? I did a search but no joy. Probably did not use the correct search terms. I'm sure someone here has replaced their factory radio.

2001 Durango with Infinity Sound.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 08-26-2011, 09:15 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Depends on what your looking for. I personally went with two SONY CDX series and a Kenwood KVT series, If you just want basic stereo CD, the Sonys are my recommendation. If you are looking for add ons like DVD, Back up camera, GPS then I would tend to recommend the Kenwood KVT514. I dont have the Infinity stereo but I did replace my stock stereos with Inifinty CF series speakers. The one in now is a Sony CDXGT630UI which includes detachable face, front panel USB and MP3/AUX inputs. The only thing extra I have is the XM Satellite radio add on. It is SAT Radio which means you can use XM or Sirrius ( I know they merged but still ordering is one or the other.)

Old 08-26-2011, 09:48 PM
RonRock
Amateur

Thanks Magic. I am mostly interested in how guys have actually installed a "Double DIN" radio in the 01 dash. The OEM radio is an odd size and I don't know how to fit a Double DIN in it. Also unsure how to interface an aftermarket radio with the Infinity sound system. Would like to keep all but the OEM head unit.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 PM
20durango00
Rookie

Our 2000 D came with the OEM am/fm cassette and I replaced with an OEM am/fm cassette/cd radio. I forget how to take off the dash bezel, was many years ago, but it wasn't hard and the rest was just plug n play, ie., no wire splicing. I found the new unit on ebay, "newly pulled unit". If you do ebay, ya might find one there. Come to think about it I think the bezel just pops off, starting from the bottom, somebody knows here.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:56 PM
on1wheel01

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
Depends on what your looking for. I personally went with two SONY CDX series and a Kenwood KVT series, If you just want basic stereo CD, the Sonys are my recommendation. If you are looking for add ons like DVD, Back up camera, GPS then I would tend to recommend the Kenwood KVT514. I dont have the Infinity stereo but I did replace my stock stereos with Inifinty CF series speakers. The one in now is a Sony CDXGT630UI which includes detachable face, front panel USB and MP3/AUX inputs. The only thing extra I have is the XM Satellite radio add on. It is SAT Radio which means you can use XM or Sirrius ( I know they merged but still ordering is one or the other.)

Sony??? Really???? If you want a quality in dash unit go alpine or eclipse. Hands down best radios made. I see so many audio noobs with sony and such, junk is all it is. I used sony when I was new to audio and didn't know better.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:43 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if you want a double din headunit you MUST cut the dash to make it fit, the factory unit is 1.5 din

Old 08-28-2011, 02:00 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Remember I said basic stereo, I had no problems with either the Sony's or Kenwoods I transferred the first Sony from my Jeep Cherokee which I got on Clearance from $300 down to $70, the major selling point at the time was XM compatible and being able to hide all the wiring underneath the seats/console. I transferred from the Cherokee and the previous Sony in the Cherokee had been in there for over five years with no issues. The upgrade to the second Sony the CDX GT 630UI was for the front MP3 and USB. I instaleld the Kenwood KVT 514 for the GPS mainly but I also took advantage of the DVD and Back up Camera. I sold the Kenwood KVT514 when I was originally going to trade in the D but was already sold and the D didnt. I had all three items on Craigslist, sold the Kenwood and reinstalled the CDX GT630UI. The Sony is fairly basic but I am simple on the radio, I got new Infinity speakers last year and the Sony has most of what I am looking for, Detachable face, Satellite compatible, USB (which is most of what I use on long trips I toggle back and forth between XM and USB.) On local trips I use my Washington DC Area news/weather/sports/traffic/radio and use the XM traffic frequencys if I am in a coverage area. I dont listen to headbanging music or loud, I am middle of the road, so the Sony works for me.

With that said Sharps is right, the factory opening is 1.5 DIN so if you want the double din stereo there could be some dash trimming in your future and is permanent. There was one post either here or DOC forum recently about someone who did one and in my opinion looked pretty good. The Kenwood KVT series are flip out so they fit in the dash but flip out to show the 7" screen. Schoshe available at Walmart provide connectors, and trim panels to fit the D and look pretty good.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:47 PM
jaz27
Rookie

Hey Magic I just replaced the HU on my 2002 and after I installed it I found that the new stereo trim doesn’t sit flush with the bezel, could there be something wrong? Ill post a pic up here if you need to see or if you may know if it’s a common problem.
I also have a pair of Infinity 6032's on the rear and well after I crank it up they sound very bad... I mean by no means am I expecting something rattling the truck but the stocks in the front sound way better well in terms of low bass...
This is my first install of the hu and speakers, so I apologize for the questions.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:07 AM
topdogcustoms
Captain

Originally Posted by jaz27
Hey Magic I just replaced the HU on my 2002 and after I installed it I found that the new stereo trim doesn’t sit flush with the bezel, could there be something wrong? Ill post a pic up here if you need to see or if you may know if it’s a common problem.
I also have a pair of Infinity 6032's on the rear and well after I crank it up they sound very bad... I mean by no means am I expecting something rattling the truck but the stocks in the front sound way better well in terms of low bass...
This is my first install of the hu and speakers, so I apologize for the questions.
do you have the Infinity amp ?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Durango03
Veteran

As far as quality, I have had Alpines AND Eclipse radio's. Had to replace both within 2 years. Now my Kenwood Ive had since I was 17 (Im 33 now) and it still works like a champ! I have it in a POS truck I use for trash days and hauling stuff. I only buy Kenwood now.

Quick Reply: 2001 Stereo Replacement?