1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rusted Rotors!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:21 PM
landover50
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusted Rotors!!!!

I have a 2001 Durango with some stubborn rotors. I've taken off the calipers and there are no retainer washers on the studs. For the life of me I can not get the rotors to budge. I have banged and banged, inside and outside of the rotor. I even tried putting a bolt through the caliper hole with a nuts to try and "screw" it off from the back. But the caliper holes are fairly small, so I had to use a 1/4" bolt. I twisted the bolt right in half. Any help or ideas on how to get the dang things off? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-d...s-section.html

my suggestion is a BFH and some penetrating oil and alot of patience, if you have puller holes in the rotors you can put a bolt in there and try to pull it off that way (i dont meant tighten the bolt in to push it off since it sounds like you tried that already and it didnt work).

also, ill move this for you this time, but this is your only pass.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:01 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hit it with a really BFH and smack it right between the lugs all the way around, and I mean hit it hard! Protect the lugs with installing the lug nuts first.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:17 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are replacing the rotors, pound the **** out of them. They will come off as soon as they are broken free.

IndyD

Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Ah the BFH, one of the most valuable tools ever. If some one reads this post that doesn't have one get one.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

LOL

and just to make sure that those people that don't know what a BFH stands for here is the definition:

Big F*cking Hammer..........

Old 09-11-2011, 05:49 PM
landover50
Default BFH it was

So I had been whacking the crap out of my rotors in the first place, but I guess I just needed a bigger hammer and some good penatrating oil. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:12 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

if you need some encouragement to hit it harder.. if you cant get it off then you have to replace the entire wheel hub.. think about that while your hitting it hard..

dead blow hammers can be nice but in cases like this you may be best off putting a sledge hammer full swing against the rotors..

Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

When installing the new rotors, remember to put some anti-seize between the hub bearing and rotor contact point. Also remember to clean the rotor with brake cleaner to remove the oil they put on them from the manufacture to keep them from rusting. Grind the pad arm slides to remove groves and lubricate the slides and arms of the new pads, and grease the slide pins. I always put that blue anti-squeek gell on the back of each pad before installing.

Quick Reply: Rusted Rotors!!!!