1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

rear diff fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 AM
laz45
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a question.At the marina we use a lot of marine grade sealants and gaskets,naturally,we work boats after all....
I myself use raw gasket material and cut/make gaskets a lot.Sometimes it's just a better basket or material and sometimes I just don't want to wait for an item to be shiiped if we don't have it in stock.So,there's a lot of places on the Dodges where sealant is used instead of gaskets.If something the diff cover was prepped correctly would cutting and installing a gasket be an issue or is the oil resistant silicone just the best way to go period? We also use a lot of IndianHead gasket maker.Excellent in boat engines and below water line applications...

Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

For the rear diff you are better to use straight RTV sealant. I have tried the gaskets before in various differentials and no matter they always leak, however I have not used different types of gasket materials, but the gaskets you get from a auto parts store (the cheap ones) always seamed to leak. I always use Permatex Ultra Copper sealant:

I make all my regular gaskets now because getting them is really hard for my truck. I make them out of gasket sheet just as you. I have found that NAPA sells a good rubber/fiber cross medium thickness. Here is the type I use: Part # FPG 31493
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...493_0334851034

Last edited by hydrashocker; 10-20-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Irondime
Rookie

I used permatex ultra black

Old 10-21-2011, 12:14 PM
laz45
Veteran

Excellent,Ty for the info....I like the copper and the black,depending on what I'm sealing but they're both good....I didn't know NAPA sold anything like that,we actually have a really good NAPA here,run by friends of mine..gonna check into that.
The material we use here is the same type,heck it might even come from there but I think it's through 1 of our wholesale suppliers....Anyway,silicone it it is,just checking before I go in again...Thanks

Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

ok...sorry to start this again but I am just getting some clarification on this. I went to the AMOSIL webpage here:
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/Produ...UCKS+DURANGO+Z
And it says for the LSD I can put in three different gear oils...WTF? And in there it says there is a synthetic 80w-90 under "Limited Slip Differential, Rear 194FIA......GL-5*All TEMPS......80W-90"
So what is the best to use? This is my DD, and gets about 90% in town driving if that helps.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:24 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

What it is saying is that you can use this lubricant in the front and the rear differential, that is it.

Listen, forget Amsoil, they are way too expensive and they do not get certification to the lubricants used because they don't want to be regulated.

All the information I have in your post is that you have a 1998 Durango. If you go to the top of the window and hit the "User CP" link, left hand side click "edit your details" and in the second section at the top you put your vehical details in, well every post you place will have the basic information for us to help you in every question or post you make. Just look at mine in my upper right hand side of my posts.

Anyway, what are you doing with your rig? Towing a lot, simple city, or mostly hwy driving? What diff do you have, 8.25 or 9.25 and gearing?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

Basically mine is a DD for in town driving. I will be helping people out of the ditch every once in awhile for now. But during the winter temps drop near or below 0 and during the summer we see 90 to 100+ so a very wide range of conditions. I plan to do both diffs here soon and was just looking to see which I was going with, its between royal purple and mobile 1. Which one you suggest for me then? And what weight?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:26 AM
RollerRed
Veteran

Also I do have a 9.25, and 3.92 gears in the rear there...

Old 10-27-2011, 06:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Use Mobil One Fully Synthetic LS 75W-90.

With Mobil you are getting everything that Royal Purple has because they are both mad of the same base oil, but not paying the high cost of Royal Purple of Amsoil. Now remember, if you have a LS rear differential still use the 8oz bottle of friction modifier. I buy it a Auto Zone and you will find it back by the gear oil and 2 stroke oil. It is like $5.99 and I think it's made by BG. Anyway I first pour in the whole bottle then put enough lubricant in to be around 1/4 inch below the fill plug. The Mobil One FS LS fluid can be sued in both front and rear differentials.

I change them out at 30k intervals.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 PM
RollerRed
Veteran

Good to know, thanks hydra

Quick Reply: rear diff fluid