1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New issue with my Durango

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:51 AM
ImageJPEG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New issue with my Durango

Just lately I've noticed a slight metal clanking (no grinding or scrapping...also doesn't vibrate) noise when I go over bumps. It doesn't make the noise from every bump I go over.

I did notice that the CV joints that connect to the wheel do wiggle very slightly (less than half a centimeter).

This is a 2001 Dodge Durango with almost 115000 miles also.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:52 AM
ImageJPEG

Oh, and this noise is coming from the front. Both CV joints do wiggle like I said before.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 AM
laz45
Veteran

Torsion bar height adjustment? Joust bumpers maybe??
Is it like a bump noise or more like a rotational noise,say from the wheel turning?
If it's more like the first There's a couple threads in the DIT section on T/S lift that explain the noises caused when the torsion is out of adjustment(low) Hydrashocker has some stuff in there about his front end alignment dealings that'll give you a ton of information....

If it's more like door#2,rotational,...you may be pulling your front wheels and having a good look at everything.....

My Durango had a brake job done just before I got it,and they installed 1 of the wheels sensors.They bent the backing plate on the pass side and I got a occasional noise on a bumpy tight right turn,kinda clangy I guess...
Maybe something to look at there also...

Last edited by laz45; 10-10-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:54 AM
ImageJPEG

It's doesn't sound like a rotational noise. It sounds more like when you hit two hollow tubes of steal together type of sound...almost like somethings loose...but I don't know if that would sound like a torrson bar issue.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 AM
ImageJPEG

Also, it doesn't matter if the wheel is turning or not. It happens in a straight line too...but like I said, it's not every bump that causes the sound.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM
laz45
Veteran

K, Give a general look over on your front suspension,Just check eveything over for loose fasteners or missing parts etcetc...the hollow sound like you're describing does sound like your suspension might be hitting it's limit,specially if the joust bumper has worn off from the front being out od adjustment(too low) a lot of people here have mentioned the same and found that....If you can jack up the front and it'll help a bit when you look it over also,just so you can move things around freely and shake it down.....check some of those threads I mentioned in the DIY section,they'll get you familiar with the front end parts and direct you right to a few things to look at.

I'm sure the guys here will jump in with a lot more advice as they day goes along too,good place here
Good luck,let everyone know what you find at this point....

Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sway bar bushings.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Radar696
Rookie

Even though you say it's coming from the front I agree with hydra.

Make sure to check those rear swaybar end links.
Mine are shot to hell.
They rattle sometimes like you wouldn't believe going over a bump.

It took me a while before I figured out what it was.
With all the traveling I've been doing it's been difficult to find the time to replace them.

Quick Reply: New issue with my Durango