1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Steering Wheel Play - Located U-Joint on Steering Column - Possible Fix? (Images)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Steering Wheel Play - Located U-Joint on Steering Column - Possible Fix? (Images)

Hi everyone,

My Durango has 113k. I noticed last week a clicking sound when I was turning my wheel ever slightly while driving. This week it has gotten slightly worse. So I had someone slightly turn my steering wheel while parked and noticed that the u-joint of the steering column (which has some orange piece (maybe a grommet/bearing) is whats causing the clicking/extra play. I took a picture, I hope you guys can make it out. I am on the drivers side of the engine looking down at the steering column.

Question is, what do I have to do in order to fix this? Do I have to buy the whole shaft or just the lower shaft? I am looking at the parts manual and it looks like its 1 piece top to bottom in the dodge manual. As you can see I also have a diagram from a parts list from some other company that shows different parts for lower and middle etc. My friend said that the shafts are all pressed in and I can't just buy the lower and swap.

Guys any advice?

Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel Play - Located U-Joint on Steering Column - Possible Fix? (Images)-imag0590_a.jpg   Steering Wheel Play - Located U-Joint on Steering Column - Possible Fix? (Images)-dodge-durango-steering-shaft-parts-list-dodge-parts-manual.jpg   Steering Wheel Play - Located U-Joint on Steering Column - Possible Fix? (Images)-dodge-durango-steering-shaft-parts-list.jpg  

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Play - Located U-Joint on Steering Column - Possible Fix? (Images)